Environment Directorate – Policy Statement
The Environment Directorate is committed to protecting and
enhancing the environment through the services we provide and by
reducing the adverse impacts of our own actions. We will conform to
the principles of sustainable development and pursue the Aims set
corporately and as identified in the Community Plan. We affirm that
by acting locally, we can play our part in improving the global
environment to the benefit of our local communities. We will seek
to integrate environmental considerations into all our
decision-making and will commit to continual improvement of our
In managing our own operations, we aim to:
- Promote an efficient, sustainable transport system that meets
community needs to travel, maximises safety and minimises
consumption of fossil fuels, traffic congestion and pollution.
- Minimise the environmental impact of transport usage in
carrying out Council business through purchasing low emission
vehicles and plant.
- Optimise economic development and social inclusion through
sustainable transport development
- Maintain and enhance the local environment through proper
highway asset management
- Maintain and enhance the local environment through keeping
roads and footways well maintained.
- Promote the quality of the local environment through proper
attention to street cleanliness, grounds maintenance and associated
Property and Land
- Minimise the environmental impact of properties owned and
managed by the Council through maximising energy efficiency and
encouraging the use of renewable energy.
- Manage land for which we are responsible so as to maintain and
enhance the environment, its bio-diversity and conservation
- Maintain and enhance the local environment through good
property asset management.
- Promote Sustainable Waste Management by encouraging the
reduction in the amount of waste generated and the increased re-use
and recycling of waste and by adopting sustainable forms of waste
disposal and treatment.
- Reduce waste by reusing where possible, and recycling,
including introducing kerbside recycling schemes for all household
- Integrate technical and environmental considerations into all
Council purchasing and contracts.
In our statutory and influencing roles, we aim to:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation.
- Enforce all relevant legislation.
- Develop the Borough in consultation with the community in order
to protect and improve the quality of the environment and to
provide access to services for all.
The aims of this policy will be monitored and reviewed
through our accredited Environmental Management System, which will
be audited on a regular basis. The policy will be reviewed each
year and any changes deemed appropriate will be made. The policy
will be distributed to all members of staff and will be available
to the public and other interested parties via distribution to
Civic Centres, Libraries, other public buildings and by publication
on the internet.
Last Updated: 03.11.2008 at 12:50