Policy for Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
To contribute to Corporate and
Community Plan aims of reducing the
overall level of crime in the County Borough and improving
residents’ perceptions of their safety in the community.
In pursuit of this the Council will :-
- Operate a CCTV system for monitoring activity in higher risk
public places to provide enhanced security and evidential quality
recordings of criminal activity and anti-social behaviour.
- Ensure that all staff operating the system are appropriately
vetted, accredited and fully trained.
- Ensure that the system is operated in accordance with the Data
Protection Act (1998) and its associated Guidance and Code of
- Ensure that proper management and control procedures are in
place to protect the integrity and security of all recordings made
using the system.
- Work in partnership with South Wales Police and the Safer Neath
Port Talbot Partnership.
- Extend the CCTV system where both capital and revenue funding
- Provide monitoring services to schools, industrial units and
other premises on the basis of charges to be determined by the
- Pursue opportunities to integrate the CCTV service into a wider
security provision for the Council.
This policy has cross-cutting themes and complements and
interlinks with the following Corporate
- Community Safety
- Confident Communities
- Improving the quality of life.
Last Updated: 03.11.2008 at 13:23