Policy for Managing Street Works
This policy covers the powers and responsibilities placed on the
Council by the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to co-ordinate
and inspect the works of utility companies in the Street.
To contribute to the Authority's Corporate Aims and Objectives and the
Community Plan by efficient operation of the highway network to
ensure high quality access is maintained to promote the Community
Plan themes and Corporate Aims including Economic Prosperity,
Environment and Transport, Community Safety, Confident Communities
and Service Quality and Improvement.
To achieve this we will:
- Co-ordinate the work of the utility companies and all
other planned work on the highway with the aim to minimise
- Liaising with stakeholders and all interested parties on Street
Works issues in the public interest.
- Publish a weekly Road Works Report and make available on the
Internet, to major motoring organisations, emergency services and
- Undertake random sample inspections of utility work in
accordance with the Inspections Code of Practice.
- Undertake additional inspections of work particularly those
nearing the end of the guarantee period in order to identify
non-compliance to the Reinstatement Specification.
- Maintain the Street Works Register and gazetteer.
- Serve notice upon Utility companies where they fail in their
specific duties under the Act.
- Consider prosecution of utility companies for repeated or
This policy has cross cutting themes and complements and
interlinks with the following Corporate Objectives and Policy
- Environment and Transport.
- Community Safety.
- Confident Communities.
- Service Quality and Improvement.
Last Updated: 03.11.2008 at 13:23