Policy for Public Lighting
To further the corporate aims and Community Plan by maintaining
and improving public lighting to help create a better environment
for the community. Public Lighting will assist in the enhancement
of the environment and assist residents and visitors alike to
pursue and enjoy the social, economic and leisure opportunities
within the community in safety.
In pursuit of this we will do the following:-
- Endeavour to make sure lights are on when it’s dark and
repaired quickly when broken.
- Provide a safe and cost effective lighting infrastructure
through the provision and operation of a robust well coordinated
and structured public lighting maintenance regime.
- Provide a lighting system of new modern road lighting lanterns
with the utilisation of white light.
- Contribute to the Corporate energy conservation targets by
utilising more sustainable modern energy efficient equipment, where
there is a cost benefit and business case.
- To further reduce energy consumption by the introduction of a
Central Monitoring System which enables greater control of
lighting regimes including the facility for dimming newly installed
road lighting lanterns.
- Pursue the Local Authority’s Sustainable Public Transport
Policy through providing good well-maintained public lighting.
- Minimise the environmental impact of public lighting, through
the management of the waste stream disposal of hazardous and
non-hazardous equipment, recycling, minimising light pollution and
use of alternative environmentally friendly materials.
- Assist in the reduction of crime by using modern white light
road lanterns to deter crime and assist in crime detection.
- Ensure that public lighting is aesthetically pleasing both day
and night with the replacement of existing aged lighting
infrastructure with new modern road lighting equipment.
- Pursue the Council’s aim in demonstrating its commitment to the
provision of safer and more attractive communities by focusing on
improving the existing lighting infrastructure for the enjoyment of
This policy has cross cutting themes and
complements and interlinks with the following Corporate Objectives
and Policy Standards.
- Environment and Transport
- Crime and disorder and Community Safety
- Confident Communities
- Regenerating Communities and Sustaining the Environment
- Supporting the Disadvantaged and Improving the Quality Of
Last Updated: 03.09.2012 at 09:55