Policy for Sustainable Travel
To contribute to Corporate ,
Community Plan and Local Transport Plan aims , and the objectives
of the South West Wales Integrated Transport
Consortium and the Welsh
Government , of
- enabling easy access to facilities and
services for people and businesses
- promoting social inclusion and economic development
- improving health whilst avoiding or reducing the use of
- minimising the adverse impacts of travel on the environment,
and reducing car dependency
the Council will :-
- Promote walking and cycling for
travel, leisure and health purposes.
- Develop routes and facilities to encourage walking and cycling for travel, leisure and
- Support schemes which encourage more responsible use of the
car, such as car sharing .
- Work with public transport operators
to improve services and ticketing initiatives so that buses and
trains become an increasingly attractive alternative to the
- Operate a scheme to provide concessionary travel on buses in
accordance with Welsh Government policy.
- Develop and implement a Travel Plan
for NPT employees which
- includes measures to encourage “greener” travel choices and
particularly to reduce single occupancy car travel to and from
- supports flexible working practices which allow arrangements
such as reduced or compressed hours working or home-working to
reduce the need for travel, and
- improves access to Council jobs.
- Develop and implement School Travel
Plans which address matters of concern for pupils, parents and
staff about travel to and from each school and seek to encourage
healthier and “greener’ travel choices whilst improving child road
- Encourage other employers to develop and implement effective
Travel Plans for their employees.
- Encourage developers to provide effective travel plans for new
developments as part of the planning process to reduce car
- Develop and implement planning policies which ensure that,
where appropriate, new developments are located and designed to
reduce car dependency by offering good facilities for walking,
cycling and public transport use.
- Encourage the carriage of freight by rail and sea.
- Ensure that the Council's fleet of vehicles meet current
European standards for vehicle emissions.
- Encourage good ICT access and associated services and
facilities, which can reduce the need to travel.
This policy has cross-cutting themes which complement Corporate Objectives for:-
- Economic Prosperity
This policy relates to other Council policies on:-
Last Updated: 18.12.2013 at 16:58