Policy for Traffic Signal/Controlled Crossings,
Pedestrian Crossings and Other Telematics Devices
To contribute to the Authority’s Corporate and Community Plan aims, and Welsh Assembly Government
objectives, by maintaining, improving and installing telematics
control and information systems.
Telematic control devices and information systems will assist
the public to safely pursue and enjoy social, economic, and
educational and leisure opportunities within the community. Such
devices also contribute to safer communities and reduction of
pedestrian and vehicular related accidents.
In pursuit of this we will do the following: -
- Consult with
relevant stakeholders with regard to new installations.
- Provide and maintain traffic signals to aid the safe passage of
vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians in accordance with relevant
- Provide and maintain Pedestrian Controlled Crossings where
necessary to aid the safety of pedestrians/cyclists in accordance
with relevant legislation.
- Only provide controlled crossings where the relevant guidance
adopted by the Authority is met or as an integral part of a wider
- Provide and maintain Vehicular Access Control as a means of
- Provide and maintain Bus Priority features at traffic signals
to promote the use of public transport in line with the Authority’s
Integrated Transport Strategy.
- Provide Real Time Passenger Information Systems at appropriate
- Minimise the environmental impact of all telematics
- Maintain a remote fault monitoring system to identify faults at
traffic signal sites and controlled crossing sites.
- Provide an appropriate maintenance regime for the telematics
The policy has cross cutting themes and complements and
interlinks with the following Corporate Objectives and Policy
- Environment and Transport
- Crime and Disorder and Community Safety
- Supporting the Disadvantaged and Improving the quality of
- Service Quality and Improvement
Last Updated: 03.11.2008 at 12:49