Policy for Traffic Signs to Tourist Attractions and
When assessing applications for tourism signs Neath Port Talbot
County Borough Council recognises that there is a need to balance
the legitimate interests of commercial development with the best
interests of road safety, traffic management and environmental
In pursuit of this we will do the following:-
- Request evidence to show that the establishment is recognised
by Visit Wales or the AA and conform to their relevant
standards and regulations on verification, or in the case of
attractions and activity providers, that the provider
is accreditted by a relevant professional
- Insist that applications relate to a permanently established
Tourism and Leisure related facility, which attracts, and is used
by, visitors to the area. The facility must be open to the general
public without prior booking during normal opening hours.
- Request evidence, where required by legislation, that the
establishment has received planning permission and shall
conform to all relevant statutory permissions.
- Request evidence for a need for directional information to the
facility. There shall be a significant proportion of visitors from
outside the locality.
- Ensure that access routes are capable of accommodating the
traffic already associated with the attraction and any extra
traffic likely to be generated by the provision of tourism
- Ensure that the facility has adequate and sufficient on-site
- Require that the applicant funds all anticipated costs
including the assessment, design, manufacture, erection and
subsequent maintenance of any signs in accordance with prevailing
- Ensure that signing to a destination would not create
unacceptable clutter or environmental damage.
- Ensure all unauthorised or unofficial signs are removed before
any application for official signs are considered.
- Only process the formal application on receipt of the relevant
- Annually review fee charges for this service.
Initial Assessment for Brown Tourism Signage
All documents open in a new window.
Download Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.
For further details on how to view documents, refer to our Document Viewers page.
This policy has cross cutting themes and complements and
interlinks with the following Corporate Objectives and Policy
- Environment and Transport
- Confident Communities
- Regenerating Communities and Sustaining the Environment
- Supporting the Disadvantaged and Improving the Quality Of
- Better Health and Well-being
- Tourism Strategy
Last Updated: 31.03.2009 at 15:04