Auditor General / Wales Audit Office – National Fraud
1. Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council is required by law
to protect the public funds it administers. It may share
information provided to it with other bodies responsible for
auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and
2. The Auditor General appoints the auditor to audit the
accounts of this authority. He is also responsible for carrying out
data matching exercises.
3. Data matching involves comparing computer records held by one
body against other computer records held by the same or another
body. This is usually personal information. Computerised data
matching allows fraudulent claims and payments to be identified.
Where a match is found it indicates that there is an inconsistency
which requires further investigation. No assumption can be made as
to whether there is fraud, error or other explanation until an
investigation is carried out.
4. The Auditor General currently requires us to participate in a
data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of
fraud. The Auditor General requires this authority to provide
information it holds for this purpose. We are required to provide
particular sets of data to the Auditor General for matching for
each exercise, and these are set out in the Auditor General’s
handbooks, which can be found at http://www.wao.gov.uk/whatwedo/1252.asp..
5. The use of data by the Auditor General in a data matching
exercise is carried out with statutory authority under its powers
in Part 3A of the Public Audit (Wales) Act 1998. It does not
require the consent of the individuals concerned under the Data
Protection Act 1998.
6. Data matching by the Auditor General is subject to a Code of
Practice. This may be found at www.wao.gov.uk.
7. For further information on the Auditor General’s legal powers
and the reasons why he matches particular information, see http://www.wao.gov.uk/whatwedo/1252.asp
or contact Katrina Febry, NFI Co-ordinator, Wales Audit Office, 24
Cathedral Road, Cardiff CF11 9LJ, 029 2032 0616 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated: 31.08.2012 at 18:03