From 1st April 2009, Gas Safe Register replaces CORGI registration as the official gas safety body in the UK.

This affects landlords, tenants, agents and homeowners as only Gas Safe registered engineers should carry out work on gas appliances or in situations in your home.

Are my current CORGI certificates still valid?

All current gas safety records issued by a CORGI registered engineer will be valid until their expiry date (even if that is after 1st April 2009).

Any gas safety record issued after 1st April 2009 will only be valid if it is issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

How do I know if my gas engineer is registered with Gas Safe?

After 1st April 2009 you will be able to check if your gas engineer is correctly registered by calling 0800 408 5500 or by checking on the Gas Safe Register website,

What difference will it make for me as a landlord?

Landlords must have a safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer on all gas appliances in their property every 12 months.  You must give a copy of that check to your tenant within 28 days or to a new tenant before they move in.

You must keep your gas safety records for two years. 

You will also see that the Council will ask you for Gas Safe certificates instead of CORGI certificates.

I am a tenant, what does this mean to me?

If you are a tenant please let the Gas Safe registered engineer in the property to carry out the check.  The will carry ID with them, which you should ask for.

If you think that a gas appliance is faulty, turn it off and contact your landlord or agent.  In an emergency, call the Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999.

Page Details

Last Updated: 11.12.2012 at 10:32

  • Share this:
  • Email to a friend

Rate this Page

Rating form

Please Rate this page:* 





Footer Links DirectGov Preparing for Emergencies Valid CSS Valid Level A W3C-WAI Accessibility SOCITM Better Connected Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict