High Hedges Guidance

The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 deals with high hedges and became law in Wales on the 31st December 2004.
This gives the council power to take a complaint from a householder about a high hedge which is affecting the enjoyment of their property. It also allows the council to require that the hedge be reduced and maintained at the reduced height.

A booklet outlining details on the following can be downloaded from the bottom of this page explaining:-

  • The type of complaint that can be investigated
  • The cost of making a complaint
  • Timescale involved
  • The appeal process
  • Enforcement
  • Examples of hedges and hedge maintenance
  • Questions and answers on the law

Making a High Hedge Complaint

The following conditions must be met in order to make a complaint. The hedge is:-

  • On another persons property
  • Made up of a line of two or more trees or shrubs
  • Mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen
  • Over 2 metres high
  • A barrier to light
  • Adversely effects your living accommodation or garden through loss of light

The council can only accept a complaint as a last resort and you will have to show that you have tried to resolve the problem with the hedge owner. You should have taken the following steps:

  • Made every effort to resolve the situation yourself
  • Tried talking to the hedge owner or occupier of the property
  • Sent a letter to the hedge owner of the property to try to resolve the problem
  • Informed your neighbour of your intention to complain to the council
  • If these requirements are met a complaint can be made.

The fee for investigating a complaint is £320. This is payable before the council undertakes any investigation of the complaint and is non-refundable. If you require more information, contact us at:

Planning Department,
The Quays,
Brunel Way,
Baglan Energy Park,
Briton Ferry,
SA11 2GG

ODPM Guidance Notes

All documents open in a new window.

File TitleSize
Introduction 1.05 MB
Complaining to the Council395 KB
High Hedges Application Form122 KB
Appealing against the Councils decision313 KB

Get Adobe Reader

Download: Adobe Reader (external website). Adobe Reader allows you to view PDF files.

For further details on how to view documents, refer to our Document Viewers page.


Page Details

Last Updated: 22.07.2009 at 16:16

  • Share this:
  • Email to a friend

Rate this Page

Rating form

Please Rate this page:* 





Footer Links DirectGov Preparing for Emergencies Valid CSS Valid Level A W3C-WAI Accessibility SOCITM Better Connected Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict