You can make an appeal against your rateable value:

  • by filling in an appeal form (also known as a proposal to alter the rating list) and sending it to:
    Valuation Office
    Ty Nant
    180 High Street
    SA1 1JR
    Tel: 03000 505505
  • online on the Valuation Office website at
  • You can make an appeal in the following circumstances:
    • the rateable value shown in a new Rating List is wrong
    • the rateable value shown in a Rating List for the first time is wrong
    • there has been a material change of circumstances (eg. part of the building is demolished)
    • your property should be rated as more than one property (or several properties should be rated as one property)
    • a decision by a Valuation Tribunal, Lands Tribunal or court has a bearing on your rateable value
    • a change to your rateable value made by the Valuation Office Agency is wrong
    • there is an error in the entry in the Rating List (eg. an inaccuracy in the address)
    • your property should be removed from the Rating List
    • there has been a change between domestic and non-domestic use.

  • You can make your appeal at any time during the lifespan of a Rating List.
  • If your appeal is based on a decision of a Valuation Tribunal, Lands Tribunal or other court, you can make your appeal up to 6 months after a new Rating List is introduced (provided this is within 6 months of the relevant decision).

  • If your appeal is successful, the alteration to your rateable value will take effect from the date of the change in circumstances which caused the appeal.


If the Valuation Officer does not agree with your appeal or if it is not resolved after six months, it will be referred to the local Valuation Tribunal for a decision.

If you or the Valuation Officer are not satisfied with the decision of the Valuation Tribunal, an appeal to the Lands Tribunal may be made within four weeks.

You must continue to pay your rates bill while you are waiting for your appeal to be settled. We will refund any overpayment, together with interest (if applicable), when the appeal is settled.

If you decide to take advice about whether to appeal against your rateable value, we strongly recommend that you consult a rating agent with a good reputation.

There are disreputable rating agents operating in various parts of the country who may make misleading claims about the savings which they can achieve for you. You are advised, therefore, to consider using a rating adviser who is a member of a recognised professional body such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Institute of Revenues, Rating & Valuation (IRRV) who will be regulated by rules of professional conduct and who will hold adequate indemnity insurance.

You can find more information about appeals on the Valuation Office website at

Page Details

Last Updated: 11.03.2014 at 08:50

  • Share this:
  • Email to a friend

Rate this Page

Rating form

Please Rate this page:* 





Footer Links DirectGov Preparing for Emergencies Valid CSS Valid Level A W3C-WAI Accessibility SOCITM Better Connected Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict