Health and Safety Team
The health and safety team at Neath Port Talbot is part of the
Social Services, Health and Housing Directorate and is currently
based at the Old Civic Centre in Neath. The team comprises of
environmental health officers, technicians and a technical
The main legislation in relation to health and safety is the
Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. Responsibility for the
enforcement of health and safety legislation is divided between the
Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities.
The HSE enforces the legislation at factories, building sites,
mine, quarries, farms, fairgrounds, chemical plants, off-shore and
nuclear installations and local authority owned premises.
The local authorities cover premises such as shops, warehouses,
offices, catering premises, hotels, sports, leisure facilities,
residential care, churches.
What do we do?
- Inspect workplaces to ensure that work place risks are managed
- Secure compliance with relevant health and safety
- Provide advise to businesses, employees and members of the
- Investigate complaints about premises, work practices or
- Investigate reports of accidents or ill health.
- Participate in national/ local campaigns and surveys Promote
health and safety awareness through campaigns, seminars and
Last Updated: 23.01.2008 at 14:48