Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Appealing your Valuation

Online Appeals

Appealing online is easy and secure and can be done using the VOA website. 

Place an Appeal online

Postal Appeals 

Download an appeal form (also known as a proposal to alter the rating list) and send it to:

  • Valuation Tribunal for Wales
    22 Gold Tops
    NewportNP20 4PG
  • Tel: 01633 255003
  • Email:

Circumstances under which you can place an Appeal

  • the rateable value shown in a new Rating List is wrong
  • the rateable value shown in a Rating List for the first time is wrong
  • there has been a material change of circumstances (eg. part of the building is demolished)
  • your property should be rated as more than one property (or several properties should be rated as one property)
  • a decision by a Valuation Tribunal, Lands Tribunal or court has a bearing on your rateable value
  • a change to your rateable value made by the Valuation Office Agency is wrong
  • there is an error in the entry in the Rating List (eg. an inaccuracy in the address)
  • your property should be removed from the Rating List
  • there has been a change between domestic and non-domestic use
  • You can make your appeal at any time during the lifespan of a Rating List.
  • If your appeal is based on a decision of a Valuation Tribunal, Lands Tribunal or other court, you can make your appeal up to 6 months after a new Rating List is introduced (provided this is within 6 months of the relevant decision).
  • If your appeal is successful, the alteration to your rateable value will take effect from the date of the change in circumstances which caused the appeal.

The Appeal Process

If the Valuation Officer does not agree with your appeal or if it is not resolved after six months, it will be referred to the local Valuation Tribunal for a decision.

If you or the Valuation Officer are not satisfied with the decision of the Valuation Tribunal, an appeal to the Lands Tribunal may be made within four weeks.

You must continue to pay your rates bill while you are waiting for your appeal to be settled. We will refund any overpayment, together with interest (if applicable), when the appeal is settled.

If you decide to take advice about whether to appeal against your rateable value, we strongly recommend that you consult a rating agent with a good reputation.  There are tips on how to select a professional agent featured on the About Business Rates page.