What am I entitled to?
As a carer you may be entitled to Carers Allowance and a reduction in council tax.
If you spend 35 hours or more per week caring for another person you may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance. This is a weekly payment of £61.35. This is a taxable payment and may affect other benefits you claim.
Apply for Carers Allowance
Reduction to Council Tax bills
You may be entitled to a council tax reduction of 25-50% if one of the following apply:
You may be entitled to a Council Tax reduction if you are an unpaid carer and you:
- live in the same property as the person you are caring for
- provide at least 35 hours a week of care ( you don’t have to be in receipt of Carer’s Allowance)
- provide care to someone who isn’t your spouse, partner or child under 18 years old
In addition, the person you care for must receive one of the following:
- standard or enhanced rate of personal independence payment (PIP)
- higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance
- higher rate of Attendance Allowance
- an increased Disablement Pension
- an increased Constant Attendance Allowance
How to apply?
If you are eligible, you will need to request and complete a Council Tax Discount Application form and supply proof of eligibility (from the list above).
- For more information, please contact (01639) 686 188 and press option 2
- Or e-mail: email@example.com
- Alternatively call in at the Civic Centre in Neath or Port Talbot.
If you leave your own property to care for someone
If you move to live with the person you are caring for you may be exempt from paying Council Tax. Contact the Council Tax Section to tell us:
- the date you left your house and that it is unoccupied ( no else is living there)
- that you are caring for someone
- your new address and the name of the person you are caring for
- the level and type of care you are providing
- whether you intend to return
We need a doctors letter confirming the person you care for requires on going care.
information on benefits for carers at gov.uk.
Neath Port Talbot Carers’ Service provide information and advice on benefits. Contact: (01639) 642277 for more information.