Help for Carers

We recognise that Carers provide the majority of community care. We may be able to make it easier for you to care for someone at home by providing practical help to support the person you care for. This might be:

  • Home care (Help with personal care)
  • A break from caring - we may be able to provide care either for a few hours (at home or a day centre) or a short stay (in a residential or nursing home) 
  • Equipment - to help with everyday tasks 
  • Adaptations to the home - such as handrails or ramps Supported employment opportunities for the person you care for 
  • Direct Payments (for people to arrange their own care) 
  • Assisted technology- which uses sensors and detectors in the home to raise an alert if, for example they detect a possible problem such as a fall, flooding, smoke or the gas being left on. 
  • Information and advice.

Contacting Social Services

If you are caring for an older or disabled person in Neath Port Talbot who:-

  • Needs help from Social Services for the first time or 
  • Is already receiving services but needs to access a new service because their needs have changed,

Get in touch with the Neath Port Talbot’s Adult’s and Children’s Single Point of Contact Team (SPOC)     

01639 686802 01639 686802 voice +441639686802

available from 8.30am to 5pm (Mon to Thurs) and 8.30am to 4.30pm (Fri).

What happens next?

When you contact Social Services they will arrange to assess the needs of the person you care for.

This assessment will enable Social Services to decide:

  • What sort of support is needed  
  • Whether the person is eligible for services from Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.

Please tell us how the person you care for wishes to communicate as the assessment can be conducted in English or Welsh. Arrangements can be made for an interpreter if the person you care for speaks another language, or if they communicate in sign language.

A note for Carers

If you provide, or intend to provide a substantial amount of care to someone, you are entitled to an assessment of your own needs. This applies even if the person you care for does not want his or her own needs assessed.

Who is eligible for services?

Because a lot of people ask for our help, the Council has to make sure that it provides services to meet the needs of people in the county borough in the most effective, fair and efficient manner. To help us decide who should receive our services we use guidelines called Eligibility Criteria (which are based on a framework laid down by the Welsh Assembly Government).

When looking at your needs, we consider how much risk there is to your independence. We need to make sure that those people who are at most risk have their needs met first. In other words they have the highest priority. Once you have had an assessment, we compare your needs with our eligibility criteria, and decide on your priority. There are four levels as follows:

Eligibility Criteria for Adults

1. The first condition relates to the adult’s circumstances and is met if the need arises from the circumstances which are specified in regulations:

  • physical or mental ill-health
  • age
  • disability
  • dependence on alcohol or drugs; or other similar circumstances

2. The second condition is met if the need relates to one or more outcomes specified in the regulations:

  • ability to carry out self-care or domestic routines
  • ability to communicate
  • protection from abuse or neglect
  • involvement in work
  • education, learning or in leisure activities
  • maintenance or development of family or other significant personal relationships
  • development and maintenance of social relationships and involvement in the community; or
  • fulfilment of caring responsibilities for a child.

3. The third condition is met if the need is such that the adult is not able to meet that need alone, with the care and support of others who are able or willing to provide that care and support; or with the assistance of services in the community.

4. The fourth condition is met if the adult is unlikely to achieve one or more of their personal outcomes unless the local authority provides or arranges care and support to meet their needs in accordance with a care and support plan or it enables the need to be met by making direct payments.

Is there any charge?

There is no charge for the assessment or for any information or advice. There are charges for some of the services that are provided. These usually depend on the individual’s income and any savings they have.

The care manager (Social worker) will make sure that the person has the information they need about any charges, before they agree to a Care Plan.

Support from Health Professionals

In addition to your G.P, there are a range of professionals who can give help and advice on health. Contact them via your local Health Centre or surgery.

  • Health Visitors will do welfare visiting, simple medical screening and give 'flu vaccinations and advice on good health.
  • District Nurses give advice on continence and the provision of nursing aids.
  • Chiropodists can do foot care at home for housebound people or in the clinic for others.
  • Community Psychiatric Nurses offer specialist help to people with mental health problems or Alzheimer's Disease.