Disabled Facilities Grants
The Housing Renewal & Adaptations Service provides a
Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) within Neath Port
Disabled Facilities Grants are available to owner occupiers and
tenants for a range of works necessary to help a disabled person to
remain living independently at home. They include facilitating
access to your home, providing level access showers, stairlifts,
hoists and door entry systems, ground floor washing/WC facilities
and grab rails.
The grant is:
- Subject to an assessment by the Community Occupational Therapy
- Subject to a statutory Test of Resources
- Limited to £36,000
- For mandatory works of adaptation only
- May be subject to repayment Conditions
How to apply?
To apply for a grant you will need to make a referral via the
NPT Gateway on 01639 686802 who will pass on your details to the
Community Occupational Therapy Service. Due to high demand you may
have to wait to be assessed. We are improving all the time to
reduce any delays. Once this is done you will be contacted to
assess you in your home to determine what help you require.
During this time you will be placed on a waiting list for your
grant and will be contacted by the Grants Department on release
from the list.
Once released we will:
- Visit you at home and complete an official application form and
if applicable conduct a formal test of resources known as a Means
Test. The result of this means test will be the figure you will
have to contribute towards the cost of the adaptations
- Conduct a survey to confirm that the adaptations recommended
are feasible. Plans may be required along with Planning and
Building Regulations Approval
- Appoint and introduce you to a contractor from our Select List
who will then agree a date of complete the adaptations.
- We will supervise and sign off the works undertaken
- Provide support and assistance to you during the grant
Your Step by Step Guide
- Step 1: Telephone the Gateway Team and make a referral
- Step 2: A home assessment is carried out to identify your
- Step 3: Recommendations are created and forwarded to us
- Step 4: The Grants Team will contact you to complete your
- Step 5: We will visit you to discuss the works at your
- Step 6: Your Grant is Approved
- Step 7: We appoint and introduce you to a contractor to agree
with you a convenient start date
- Step 8: We will ensure that the works are completed to your
Your Grant is completed.