Disabled Facilities Grants
The Housing Renewal & Adaptations Service provides a Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) within Neath Port Talbot.
Disabled Facilities Grants are available to owner occupiers and tenants for a range of works necessary to help a disabled person to remain living independently at home. They include facilitating access to your home, providing level access showers, stairlifts, hoists and door entry systems, ground floor washing/WC facilities and grab rails.
The grant is:
- Subject to an assessment by the Community Occupational Therapy Service
- Subject to a statutory Test of Resources
- Limited to £36,000
- For mandatory works of adaptation only
- May be subject to repayment Conditions
How to apply?
To apply for a grant you will need to make a referral via the NPT Gateway on 01639 686802 who will pass on your details to the Community Occupational Therapy Service. Due to high demand you may have to wait to be assessed. We are improving all the time to reduce any delays. Once this is done you will be contacted to assess you in your home to determine what help you require.
During this time you will be placed on a waiting list for your grant and will be contacted by the Grants Department on release from the list.
Once released we will:
- Visit you at home and complete an official application form and if applicable conduct a formal test of resources known as a Means Test. The result of this means test will be the figure you will have to contribute towards the cost of the adaptations
- Conduct a survey to confirm that the adaptations recommended are feasible. Plans may be required along with Planning and Building Regulations Approval
- Appoint and introduce you to a contractor from our Select List who will then agree a date of complete the adaptations.
- We will supervise and sign off the works undertaken
- Provide support and assistance to you during the grant process
Your Step by Step Guide
- Step 1: Telephone the Gateway Team and make a referral
- Step 2: A home assessment is carried out to identify your needs
- Step 3: Recommendations are created and forwarded to us
- Step 4: The Grants Team will contact you to complete your application
- Step 5: We will visit you to discuss the works at your property
- Step 6: Your Grant is Approved
- Step 7: We appoint and introduce you to a contractor to agree with you a convenient start date
- Step 8: We will ensure that the works are completed to your satisfaction
Your Grant is completed.