Welsh Government has introduced a PDG Access Grant. The purpose of which is to provide grant assistance to families on low incomes for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
IT equipment, such as mobile phones and ipads, are excluded from this funding.
Who is eligible?
Funding is available to pupils who are eligible for Free School Meals entering:
- Reception class of maintained primary schools in September 2019;
- Year 3 of maintained Primary Schools/ Junior Schools in September 2019;
- Year 7 of maintained Secondary Schools in September 2019;
- Year 10 of maintained Secondary Schools in September 2019;
- Pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 in September 2019.
The funding is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age.
Funding of up to £125, is available to each eligible learner with the exception of those in Year 7. Eligible learners in Year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200.
Children of families in receipt of the following are eligible to receive Free School Meals:-
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- to 31 March 2019, Universal Credit (1)
- from 1 April 2019, Universal Credit - provided your household has an annualised net earned income (2) of no more than £7,400 ( as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
(1) This was done as a temporary measure, pending the development of new eligibility criteria.
(2) Net earned income is defined as household income after taxes and deductions. It does not include income from Universal Credit or other benefits.
How to apply?
Closing date for applications is 31st December 2019. Please apply online or download and complete the form below.
Forms should be returned to:
Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council,
School and Family Support Team,
Any queries please contact the Schools and Family Support Team on 01639 763515 or email: email@example.com.