Pupil Development Grant - Access
Welsh Government has introduced a PDG Access Grant. The purpose of which is to provide grant assistance to families on low incomes for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
- Laptops or tablets
We advise families to contact their child’s school/setting to discuss loaning equipment before purchasing.
Parents need to keep receipts for audit purposes.
Who is eligible?
For academic year 2021/2022, funding is available to pupils who are eligible for free school meals entering:
- Reception in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- Year 1 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- Year 3 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- Year 5 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- Year 7 in September 2021 at a rate of £200
- Year 8 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- Year 9 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- Year 10 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- Year 11 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- For learners in a special school, special needs resource base or pupil referral unit and are aged 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15
- Funding for looked-after children is available in every school year. Please apply to Local Authority where child attends school.
Only one claim per school year is permitted.
Pupils who receive Free School Meals due to transitional protection arrangements do not qualify for this funding.
Children of families in receipt of the following are eligible to receive Free School Meals:-
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- to 31 March 2019, Universal Credit (1)
- from 1 April 2019, Universal Credit - provided your household has an annualised net earned income (2) of no more than £7,400 (as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
(1) This was done as a temporary measure, pending the development of new eligibility criteria.
(2) Net earned income is defined as household income after taxes and deductions. It does not include income from Universal Credit or other benefits.
How to apply?
Please apply online or download and complete the form below.
Forms should be returned to:
Schools and Family Support Team,
Closing date for applications is 31st January 2022
Welsh Government PDG Access Grant 2021-2022 (PDF 556 KB)
Any queries please contact the Schools and Family Support Team on 01639 763515 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.