School Essentials Grant
Welsh Government has introduced a School Essentials Grant (previously PDG Access Grant). The purpose of which is to provide grant assistance to families on low incomes for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- IT Equipment: laptop and tablets ONLY (School Essentials should only be used in limited situations where a school is unable to loan equipment to the family);
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
We advise families to contact their child’s school/setting to discuss loaning equipment before purchasing.
Parents need to keep receipts for audit purposes.
Who is eligible?
For academic school year 2023/2024, funding is available to pupils who are eligible for free school meals entering:
- Reception in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 1 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 2 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 3 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 4 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 5 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 6 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 7 in September 2023 at a rate of £200
- Year 8 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 9 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 10 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- Year 11 in September 2023 at a rate of £125
- For learners in a special school, special needs resource base or pupil referral unit and are aged 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15
- Funding for looked-after children is available in every school year. Please apply to Local Authority where child attends school.
Only one claim per school year is permitted.
Pupils who receive Free School Meals due to transitional protection arrangements do not qualify for this funding.
Children of families in receipt of the following are eligible to receive Free School Meals:-
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you don't also get Working Tax Credit and your annual income is £16,190 or less before tax)
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - your household earnings must be less than £7,400 a year after tax. This does not include any income from benefits.
How to apply?Apply Online
Please apply online or download and complete the form below.
School Essentials Grant 2023-2024 (DOCX 47 KB)
mTitle: School Essentials Grant 2023-2024
mSize: 47 KB
Forms should be returned to:
Child and Family Support Team,
Closing Date 31 May 2024
Any queries please contact the Child and Family Support Team on 01639 763515 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.