Policy for Drainage & Floods
To contribute to the Corporate and Community Plan aims of protecting the quality of the local environment as affected by drainage and flooding;
The Council will;
- Carry out its duties and responsibilities as described in “Drains, Sewers and Riparian Land Drainage, A Guide to Your Responsibilities” and "Policy on Flood and Coastal Defence" published by the Council.
- Work with the Environment Agency in maintaining the Council's drainage, coastal protection and flood management systems
- Work with the Environment Agency advising landowners on matters concerning drainage, coastal protection and flood management.
- During normal working hours, clear blockages in private drains and sewers when requested and charge the owner(s) for this service.
- Using its Public Health powers, enforce repair of private drains and sewers by a contractor (not necessarily the Council) with costs to be charged to the owner(s).
- Maintain flow in the drainage systems the Council is responsible for and unblock road gullies as soon as possible.
- Provide advice for landowners on their responsibilities in relation to drainage of their land.
- In event of a major flooding incident, implement emergency powers and an action plan.
- Provide an adequate, economic, sustainable and technically and environmentally sound coastal defence and drainage system in areas that are the responsibility of the Council.
- Discourage inappropriate development that requires planning consent in areas considered at risk from flooding and coastal erosion.
- Work in partnership with the Swansea/Carmarthen Bay Coastal Engineering Group, neighbouring authorities and other bodies to provide the affective assessment of coastal erosion risks and measures for their mitigation.
- Take account of Government guidelines as set out in “Planning Policy Wales, Development and Flood Risk” (TAN 15) and “Coastal Planning” (TAN 14)
- Respond to incidents of oil pollution in accordance with the Oil Pollution Response Plan .
This policy has cross cutting themes that complement the Corporate Objectives for:
- Environment and Transport
- Confident Communities
- Community Safety