Care Assessment

Working out what Help and Support is needed

When you contact us we will assess your needs.  We might be able to sort out some straightforward things without a detailed assessment being carried out.  However, if your needs are more complicated, or if you may need long-term support or care, we will need to do a more detailed assessment. This will enable us to decide:-

  • What sort of support you or the support the person you care for may need
  • Whether you are eligible for services from Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council, or to sign post you to more appropriate support 

We undertake assessment of needs in partnership with health professionals.  There are different levels of assessment depending on whether your needs seem to be straightforward or more complex.

The more detailed assessments are generally carried out by a rage of professionals.  A professional will visit you, and will look with you at how you manage your day to day life. S/he will talk to you about:

  • what your strengths and skills are
  • what support networks you have
  • what resources in the community you can access 

It is important that we get a full picture of your situation, so the professional might ask for permission to talk to other people who know you, such as your doctor. If you have a relative or friend who you care for, we will discuss the support that you provide and include these as part of the assessment. You can choose to have your assessment in English or Welsh. We can also arrange for an interpreter if you speak another language, or if you communicate in sign language.

If you need help in an emergency we will see you straight away and if necessary, we will arrange for services, temporarily, before your assessment has been completed.

What happens next?

When your needs have been assessed, we will decide whether or not you are eligible for services from Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.

Because a lot of people ask for our help, the Council has to make sure that it provides services to meet the needs of people in the county borough in the most effective, fair and efficient manner. To help us decide who should receive our services we use guidelines called Eligibility Criteria (which are based on a framework laid down by the Welsh Assembly Government).

When looking at your needs, we consider how much risk there is to your independence. We need to make sure that those people who are at most risk have their needs met first. In other words they have the highest priority. Once you have had an assessment, we compare your needs with our eligibility criteria, and decide on your priority. There are four conditions as follows:

Eligibility Criteria for Carers Assessment

The need of a carer meets the eligibility criteria if:

1. The need arises as a result of providing care for either—

  • an adult who has needs
  • a disabled child

2. The second condition is met if the need relates to one or more outcomes specified in the regulations:

  •  ability to carry out self-care or domestic routines;
  •  ability to communicate
  •  protection from abuse or neglect
  •  involvement in work
  •  education, learning or in leisure activities; 
  •  maintenance or development of family or other significant personal relationships 
  •  development and maintenance of social relationships and involvement in the community; or 
  • fulfilment of caring responsibilities for a child.

3. The Third condition is met if the carer cannot meet the needs either:

  •  alone
  •  with the support of others who are willing to provide that support 
  • with the assistance of services in the community to which the carer has access

4. The fourth condition is met if the carer is unlikely to achieve one or more of their personal outcomes unless:

  • the local authority provides or arranges support to the carer to meet the carer’s need;
  •  the local authority provides or arranges care and support to the person for whom the carer provides care, in order to meet the carer’s need; or
  • the local authority enables the need to be met by making direct payments.

Your Care Plan

If you are eligible to receive services you will have a dedicated professional who will discuss a range of services with you, and will tell you about any charges that there are for these. They will try hard to ensure that your needs are met in a way that suits you.  The professional will agree with you a Care Plan, which sets out how your eligible needs are going to be met, and you will be given a copy to keep.

It will include information about:-

  • What your needs are
  • Which services you will be getting, and how it is intended that these will meet your needs
  • Brief details of the services, e.g. the times
  • The name of the person who is responsible for co-ordinating your care
  • A date for a review of your needs

Your dedicated professional will also explain that you can, if you wish, receive a Direct Payment so that you can arrange your own services, instead of getting services through the Council.

Choosing the right services for you

The following services are free to people who qualify for them:-

  • Telephone installation – if a telephone is vital for your health and safety
  • Day Centres – personal care, a chance to socialise, and activities such as arts and crafts on one or more days a week (small charge for meals)

The following services have a fixed charge:

  • Blue Parking Badges – allow parking on some yellow lines and in reserved spaces for disabled drivers or passengers
  • Community Alarm link – an emergency telephone link, providing peace of mind and someone to contact if you are in trouble (may be available free to Homecare users)

The following services have a charge which depends on you income and savings.  Your designated professional can give you information on how we work this out:-

  • Homecare – practical and personal care, such as washing, dressing, preparing meals and collecting pensions
  • Adaptations to your home – to make it easier to live in, such as handrails, ramps or stair lifts
  • Short term care – breaks of a week or two in a residential or nursing home
  • Temporary care – stays in a residential or nursing home while there is a problem at home, such as building works or a carer being ill
  • Residential care – long term care in a residential or nursing home
  • Direct Payments

Arranging help for yourself

If you are able to pay the full cost, and don’t want to have an assessment, you can arrange residential or nursing care, private home care, or Telecare servces for yourself. Ask the NPT Gateway for a list of providers of these services.

What happens if you are not eligible for services?

If you are not eligible to receive services from the council, you will receive a letter explaining why not. If you are not satisfied with the reasons, you can appeal against the decision.

If you wish to appeal, the first step is to contact the person who did your assessment or their team manager. You need to give the reasons why you disagree with the Council’s decision. Your case will then be looked at again. You can find more information about this process, and suggestions for getting help with your appeal in the full Eligibility Criteria.

How to contact Social Services

For more information, or to apply for services, please get in touch with:- Neath Port Talbot’s Adult’s and Children’s Single Point of Contact Team (SPOC)

01639 686802 01639 686802 voice +441639686802