Our Enforcement Officers inspect vehicles that are reported by the public as having been abandoned, or those that they come across on their daily patrols of the Borough.
Simply because a vehicle is displaying an expired tax disc or is poorly parked does not mean it has been abandoned. If you are aware of a vehicle being driven which is not displaying a current tax disc please contact the DVLA.
Report Abandoned Vehicle
When reporting an abandoned vehicle to us, please include:
- Vehicle registration and whether the vehicle is taxed
- make, model, and colour
- Exact location of the vehicle,
- how long the vehicle has been left unmoved at its present location
If, the Enforcement Officer believes the vehicle has been abandoned they will affix a notice to the vehicle warning the owner they must contact us to claim the vehicle or move it, or we will remove it. The owner will be given 24 hours to do this.
What we will do for you
- We will inspect vehicles normally within 1 working day of being notified of the details
- If the vehicle is deemed abandoned by our Enforcement Officer, we will affix the appropriate notice on its windscreen
- We will re-inspect a vehicle that we have affixed a notice to again once the appropriate time period on the notice has passed, providing it has not been claimed by the owner
- Our nominated contractor will remove any vehicle which is unclaimed and still present after the time of the notice has passed. The vehicle may be destroyed or kept in secure storage depending on its status