Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Other works on the Highway

Businesses wishing to occupy the highway in relation to building works and other purposes, have to apply to the Authority for permission under the Highways Act 1980.

Permission is required for works including excavation in the highway, hoarding, access machinery, storage containers, site offices, etc.

Conditions for approval

Businesses must have adequate Public Liability Insurance, which must be a minimum of £5 million and must adhere to any conditions imposed. Permission is subject to conditions which may relate to; location of proposed works; lighting and guarding; visibility; and pedestrian access. For more information please contact the Streetworks department to discuss the proposed works.

How do I apply?

Contact details

Streetworks Department,
Neath Port Talbot Country Borough Council
The Quays
Brunel Way, Briton Ferry
SA11 2GG pref
01639 686338 01639 686338 voice +441639686338

How long will it take to process the application?

We require a minimum of two working days notice to check the proposed site and process the application.

Applications are typically processed within 5 working days.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact the Streetworks department.

If I’m turned down, how do I appeal?

There is no appeal procedure. If you have any queries about any decisions, please contact the Streetworks department.