Apply Online Food Registration

Licence summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered.  If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered and your business is within the Neath Port Talbot Borough, please contact the Food Safety Section on 01639 686868.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period


No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact the Food Safety Section on 01639 686868.  You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Food Safety Section in the first instance on 01639 686868.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Food Safety Section in the first instance on 01639 686868.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc.  Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations