Reading and Book Advice for Parents and Carers
0-3 yr olds
- Enjoy sharing a book with your child, talking about the pictures.
- Listen to how your baby responds and react back.
- To a young child, reading means 'cuddle' time.
- Use durable board books or for babies cloth books.
- Let your child handle the book and even taste it.
- Find books you enjoy too, as you will be reading them over and over again!
- Children take their cues from us - if they see us reading the paper, a magazine, a book, they will see it as something enjoyable to do and do the same. As long as you child is reading - Great! it doesn't have to be the 'Complete Works of Shakespeare'.
- A child may take time to find a style of book they like. Non-fiction books about favourite sports or hobbies are just as valuable as fiction books.
- Explore the library - it's a non-threatening environment for them to explore books they might be interested in.
- Your child may have a reading problem in which case be very sympathetic because no one enjoys doing something difficult and frustrating.
- Audio Books are great for children of all ages. They help children enjoy stories and will eventually lead them to want to experience the text version too.
Want to know more?