Childcare Information for Parents

We at Neath Port Talbot Family Information Service appreciate that there has been a lot of change and different information over the last months regarding Schools and Childcare Provision. We hope this webpage will provide you with some clarity. We will update this page regularly as we receive further instruction from Welsh Government.

Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme

Children under 5 years old whose parents are key workers will be able to access free childcare until 31st August through the Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme (C-CAS). Parents/carers will need to apply and may need to provide evidence of key worker status and not being able to work from home. Welsh Government have clearly stated that all children who can be cared for safely at home, should not access childcare through this scheme. The scheme will close to new applicants on the 12th of July 2020. To apply, please click here.

The Childcare Offer

The Childcare Offer has been suspended from the 1st of April to make funds available for the Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme. In the First Ministers update on the 19th of June, it was announced that Childcare could extend provision to non-key worker parents from the 22nd June. As a result of this the Childcare Offer has partially resumed for children who were approved before the 18th March and accessing their funded place before the lockdown measures were introduced.

Children who were due to start from April 20th onwards will not access their Offer place until the suspension is lifted. It is intended that the suspension will lift in September 2020.

Children aged over 5 years accessing the Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme with their pre-school age sibling(s) will not be eligible to continue with the scheme from the end of school term, the 17th July 2020.

When schools finish on 17th July, parents with children aged over 5, who need childcare would need to access private childcare and fund this themselves. Details of childcare provision can be found on the FIS page

Details of registered childcare provision can be found here. Or you can contact the Family Information Service directly on to request a list of Childcare Provision in your area.