Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Financial help if you need to self-isolate

If you are experiencing financial hardship because you have to self-isolate and can’t work, there are a number of schemes that might be able to provide support:

Self-isolation support scheme - you could get a £500 payment to help with loss of earnings if you’ve been told to self-isolate for a period and cannot work from home.

More Information and apply online


Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. To be eligible you must be on a low income; out of work; self-employed; ill or self isolating. You can check if you're eligible for Universal Credit on

Statutory Sick Pay - People who are in employment and are unable to work because of coronavirus, and are eligible, can receive Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from day one of their illness. You can find information about SSP, including eligibility and how to claim on

Statutory Sick Pay Enhancement Scheme - Social care staff working in Wales will receive enhanced sick pay entitlements to support them financially during the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, effective from 1st November 2020.

Only care workers whose employers do not provide full pay for sick leave are eligible for this payment. This includes care workers employed by registered care homes and domiciliary support services, Personal Assistants paid via direct payments agency staff and staff working for agency contractors, providing core daily care services.

We will get in touch with their employers directly.

Working Tax Credit – if you are receiving this benefit your entitlement can continue for the first 28 weeks of sickness whilst you are employed, unless you make a claim for Universal Credit.

People that are ill or self-isolating may be able to apply for Employment Support Allowance (ESA). For more information go to:

Financial or debt advice - services offering free impartial money and debt advice

Citizens Advice provides free confidential, independent advice on lots of problems. This includes benefits, debt, money or legal issues. Go to or call Advicelink: 03444 77 20 20; Textphone: 1801 0800 144 8884

The Money Advice Service provides free and impartial advice to help you plan and manage your finances. Go to or call 0800 138 7777; Typetalk 18001 0800 915 4622

Dewis Cymru helps you find money and debt advice services where you live. For more information go to

The Welfare Rights team at your local council deals with all aspects of helping people claim the benefits they are entitled to. Neath Port Talbot residents can email or call 01639 685225.

NPT Safe and Well - If you live in Neath Port Talbot, are unable to leave your home and don’t have any friends or family who can support you, NPT Safe
and Well can help to connect you with a local volunteer, community group or local service to access support with food shopping, collecting prescription medication, running daily errands or arranging for someone to check you are okay. Find out more at or call 01639 686868.