Trading Standards provide a range of metrology verification services, as identified in the menu on the left. Attached is a list of fees and charges that apply for testing specific weighing or measuring equipment.
Public Weighing & Measuring
Contact the department for further advice on 01639 686868 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When a visit is made by a Trading Standards Officer to any premises for the purpose of carrying out any of the functions or activities listed below, each visit may be subject to a minimum Charge per Officer Visit.
||Out of Hours
|Minimum Charge per Officer Per Visit
||Surcharge of 50%
of standard fee/hourly rate
- For any work not covered by these fees, or which varies significantly or is carried out in exceptional circumstances, an appropriate charge may be calculated using the hourly rate.
- Visits carried out partly or entirely outside of normal office hours may incur a surcharge of 50% of the standard fee or of the standard hourly rate per Officer per hour.
- The guidance relates to the cost of testing single items. Authorities should not be inhibited from departing from the quoted fee in locally determined circumstances. Discounted fees may be appropriate, for example, in the following circumstances:
- Where more than a single item is submitted on one occasion and particularly where large quantities are involved;
- Where facilities, equipment or assistance are provided by the submitter by prior arrangement; and
- Where no officer travelling time is involved.
- Previous discussions with HM Customs & Excise had concluded that fees, with the exception of those put forward for the purposes of Section 74 of the Weights and Measures Act 1985, were NOT subject to VAT. This is because the work of local authorities was classified as a 'non-business' activity. However, the situation has now changed. Where applicable, VAT is included. See Customs & Excise Notice 749 – Local Authorities and similar bodies (April 2002) for further details. Prices listed below are exclusive of VAT