GMB Members Newsletter
Local Government, Council & Schools
Ballot now open!
Work in a Local Authority? A Council? A School? An Academy?
Perhaps you deliver a service across Local Government?
Dear GMB Member
GMB'S BALLOT ON PAY IS NOW OPEN!
ITS TIME FOR YOU TO HAVE YOUR SAY ON PAY!
GMB pay ballot covering all workers across local government, school & academies that follow National Joint Council (NJC Green Book) pay, terms and conditions across England, Wales and Northern Ireland is now open.
GMB is disappointed that the pay offer doesn't reflect the pay claim and have made strong representation to your employers for months that the pay offer falls short of expectations.
In GMB only members have their say on pay and we now need you to take part in this important ballot and let us know if you are prepared to accept or reject the pay offer.
GMB joint Local Government and Schools Committee representatives have discussed the pay offer and arerecommendingyou vote to REJECT the offer.
From school support staff to refuse workers, from town hall workers to social workers. Hundreds of occupations are covered by this pay offer. (Approximately l million workers plus are covered).
2021 Government, Councils & Schools Pay offer is as follows:
- With effect from 1 April 2021, an increase of 2.75% on NJC pay point 1
- With effect from 1 April 2021, an increase of 1.75% on all NJC pay points 2 and above
- Completion of the outstanding work of the joint Term-Time Only review group
The employers have also agreed to joint discussions on the following:
- A national minimum agreement on homeworking policies for all councils
- An agreement on a best practice national programme of mental health support for all local authorities and school staff
- A joint review of the provisions in the Green Book for maternity/ paternity/ shared parental / adoption leave
GMB expressed dismay at the opening offer of 1.5% tabled by your employers earlier this year. The employer has since considered this and increased it by 0.25% to 1.75%.
GMB is now asking you to vote to accept or reject the pay offer at 1.75% (please note pay point 1 will be increased by 2.75%)
What happens next is up to you. We need all our members to have their say on pay. Make sure you get your ballot paper and vote. If you have not received your ballot paper please contact your local GMB branch/office
Throughout this ballot we need you to help build bargaining power in your workplace so please do one or all of the following:
- Once you have voted please encourage your work colleagues to cast their vote
- Become a GMB rep if you haven't got one in your workplace
- Recruit a GMB member - colleagues not in a union? Sign them up
- Sign up for updates