Appendix A - The Environment (Wales) Act duties
6 The Biodiversity and Resilience of Ecosystems Duty
(1) A public authority must seek to maintain and enhance biodiversity in the exercise of functions in relation to Wales, and in so doing promote the resilience of ecosystems, so far as consistent with the proper exercise of those functions.
(2) In complying with subsection (1), a public authority must take account of the resilience of ecosystems, in particular the following aspects—
(a) diversity between and within ecosystems;
(b) the connections between and within ecosystems;
(c) the scale of ecosystems;
(d) the condition of ecosystems (including their structure and functioning);
(e) the adaptability of ecosystems.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to—
(a) the exercise of a function by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, or
(b) the exercise of a judicial function of a court or tribunal.
(4) In complying with subsection (1)—
(a) the Welsh Ministers, the First Minister for Wales, the Counsel General to the Welsh Government, a Minister of the Crown and a government department must have regard to the United Nations Environmental Programme Convention on Biological Diversity of 1992, and
(b) any other public authority must have regard to any guidance given to it by the Welsh Ministers.
(5) In complying with subsection (1), a public authority other than a Minister of the Crown or government department must have regard to—
(a) the list published under section 7;
(b) the state of natural resources report published under section 8;
(c) any area statement published under section 11 for an area that includes all or part of an area in relation to which the authority exercises functions.
(6) A public authority other than a Minister of the Crown or government department must prepare and publish a plan setting out what it proposes to do to comply with subsection (1).
(7) A public authority must, before the end of 2019 and before the end of every third year after 2019, publish a report on what it has done to comply with subsection (1).
(8) A public authority that has published a plan under subsection (6)—
(a) must review the plan in the light of each report that it publishes under subsection (7), and
(b) may revise the plan at any time.