What we offer
Live your best life
We believe in rewarding and recognising our colleagues’ efforts and achievements. We also believe that there’s life at work and life outside of work. We want everyone to be healthy and happy and have the financial resources and support they need.
Choose to work for us and you’ll be rewarded with a range of attractive benefits and support to help you live your best life.
Rewards and benefits
- Pension – You’ll join the Local Government Pension Scheme which is a tax approved, defined occupational pension scheme. Your contributions are based on your earnings and you can choose from different income options when you retire.
- Life Assurance – As a member of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) a lump sum death grant of 3 times your assumed annual pensionable pay is payable regardless of how long you have been a member, should you die in service.
- Relocation Scheme – If you’re moving to Neath Port Talbot to join us, depending on the role you’ve applied for, we can help with the cost of removal, transport and legal costs.
- Cycle to Work Scheme – You’ll get the opportunity to save up to 40% on bikes and cycling equipment with our Cycle to Work provider, enabling you to stay healthy and active on your journey to work.
- Gym Membership – You’ll enjoy discounted rates for membership at Celtic Leisure facilities throughout Neath Port Talbot. This includes all gyms, swimming pools and fitness classes.
- Car Allowance – A casual user allowance is available for staff who use their own car for council business.
- Staff Discount Offers – There are plenty of discounts and offers available throughout the Neath Port Talbot, including travel, eating out, shopping, motoring and financial services.
Work life balance
- Annual Leave – You’ll receive a basic of 24 days annual leave, rising to 31 days after five years’ local government service, in addition to bank holidays.
- Flexitime Scheme – Depending on your role, you’ll be able to vary your work start and finish times to suit your needs
- Reduced Hours Working – You’ll have the option to work a reduced working week to help with other demands and responsibilities
- Compressed Hours Scheme – You can compress your working week or fortnight giving you the chance to get time off during the week
- Job Share Scheme – Jobs can be shared by two people where appropriate
- Hybrid Working – Our Hybrid Working Framework will allow you to work flexibly, maximising your productivity, as well as improving your work life balance.
- Enhanced maternal leave – You’ll be offered support and time off work through our Maternity Scheme which includes maternity support leave for a nominated carer of an expectant mother and shared parental leave.
- Parental Leave – You can take up to 13 weeks unpaid leave to look after a child up to their 8th birthday (or 18th if disabled)
- Term-time Working – You’ll have the opportunity to take unpaid leave during some or all school holidays
- Time off for dependents – If you have an unexpected or sudden problem, you can take time off work without pay to deal with it
- Special Leave Scheme – You’ll be entitled to time off for a range of reasons from public duties and medical screening to adoption and bereavement.
- Flexible Retirement – You’ll benefit from a flexible retirement policy which offers more choice and flexibility to ease into retirement, or stay beyond normal retirement age.
Learning and development
We want everyone at Team NPT to have the opportunity to develop and achieve their full potential.
Join us and you’ll have access to a full range of learning and development opportunities. Our Training & Development Department works with a range of partners such as NHS Learning@Wales and Highfield Qualifications to offer a range of inclusive training opportunities to all staff. These can be accessed either by face-to-face training, online individual e-learning modules or via webinars.
From e-learning courses on wellbeing, digital skills and health and safety through to corporate training confidence building and assertiveness, team leading and customer service skills; courses are available to all staff, including those who are not office based.
We also offer all levels of NVQ Apprenticeships across a wide range of job areas including:
- Business Administration
- Customer Services
- Electrical Engineering
- Health and Social Care
Learn more about our apprenticeships and other entries to workEntry to work
Caring for your wellbeing
We offer a range of free services to support the physical and mental health and wellbeing of everyone at Team NPT.
These include an in-house Occupational Health Unit which includes a Mental Health Nurse to provide help and support to anyone who may need it. We’ve taken the Time to Change Wales Employer Pledge to end stigma and discrimination faced by people with mental health problems.
We have a staff Health & Wellbeing Group and online staff portal to enable staff to access help, support and resources for their health and wellbeing. We became the first local authority in Wales to implement a ‘Safe Leave’ policy for staff who are affected by any form of Domestic Abuse, allowing them the opportunity to access support services, legal advice, alternative housing or medical help in a safe, planned way.
Recognition and engagement
We want everyone to feel a sense of involvement and recognition at Team NPT.
We will keep you informed and regularly ask your opinion and act on your feedback, because, together, we know more and have more skills and experiences. As a member of Team NPT you’ll receive weekly updates via our staff intranet and our Chief Executive has a group called ‘Connect with Karen’ where she regularly posts about council news. Our online ‘People Matter’ and ‘Training’ portals offer staff the opportunity to ask questions and receive updates on important policies. From time to time, you’ll receive staff surveys on key issues.
We recognise dedication and talent through our Staff Recognition Scheme which includes a Long Service Award that rewards employees who have attained 25 years’ service with a £250 voucher to use at a range of retailers.
We also actively encourage everyone at Team NPT to join a trade union to enhance their voice even more.