Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Help for Ukrainians arriving in Neath Port Talbot


People arriving in Wales from Ukraine can call 0808 175 1508 or +44 (0)204 542 5671 for general advice and support. The helpline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Welcome guide

The UK Government has produced a welcome guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK.

Living costs payment

Ukrainians who arrive under the Homes for Ukraine scheme will be able to claim a one-off £200 payment to help with living costs.   

Contact the Local Area Coordinator for your area to find out how you claim the money. 

Understanding your rights

For help to understand your rights in Wales, visit

Emergency services

To contact the police, ambulance and fire brigade in an emergency situation, call 999. In less urgent situations, call 101


If you need medical help or advice but it’s not a life threatening situation call the NHS 111 Wales service by dialling 111. The NHS 111 Wales telephone service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you can use it for urgent health advice on what services to access or how to manage your illness or condition. You can also visit the website at .

If someone is seriously ill or injured, call 999.

Routine medical appointments

If your health issue is not an emergency and does not fall within the remit of common ailments or urgent care, you may need to seek on-the-day help from a healthcare professional within a General Practice (GP).

A GP is the first doctor you will see when accessing healthcare. Please ensure you register with a GP Practice as soon as possible. To find a list of surgeries, visit You can also get support with registering with a GP by contacting the Shared Services Partnership on 01443 848585.

Common ailments

A common ailment is described as a self-limiting or uncomplicated condition. The Common Ailments Scheme in Wales allows Pharmacists to assess and treat up to 26 common ailments free of charge. To find a list of community Pharmacies across Neath Port Talbot, visit: 

 Accessing health services out of hours

If your non-emergency health issue requires contact with a health professional out of hours, the NHS 111 Wales team will book you a call back with a clinician. The clinician may be able to assess and treat you over the telephone or they may request a face-to-face appointment at a local Urgent Primary Care Centre. Phone 111 to access the NHS 111 Wales service.

Dental problems

If you are experiencing any urgent dental problems such as pain or facial swelling, then you should call 111. You will be given advice and if required, you will be booked in to an urgent dental appointment. Toothache on its own (for example, toothache with no other accompanying symptoms or signs) is not a dental emergency. 

Tuberculosis (TB) screening

If you have recently arrived from Ukraine, you will require screening for Tuberculosis (TB). This involves a chest x-ray and a simple blood test. Please contact the TB service on 01792 285873 to arrange an appointment.


For the most up to date information you need about vaccinations when entering the UK, visit:

For general information about what vaccinations you need in Wales, visit Public Health Wales:

To find out where you can get a covid vaccine in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot, visit: 

Concerns about the welfare of a child or adult

If you are concerned about the welfare of a child or adult, contact Neath Port Talbot Council’s Single Point of Contact service on 01639 686802 or email

 If you think a person is in immediate danger, call 999.

Benefits and money

Universal Credit is a benefit to help with living costs. Call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 for advice on how to claim or you can claim online at

Citizens Advice can help you with welfare benefit payments and money advice.

Email or call 0808 278 7926

Neath Port Talbot Council have a dedicated Welfare Rights Team to help and support with claims for all welfare benefits. Call 01639 685225 or email

Setting up a bank account

The main method of paying benefits is into a bank account. To set up a bank account you will need proof of identity.

You should always do your own research to find a bank that meets your specific needs. The following list is a range of suggestions who have dedicated webpages for Ukrainians, but there are many other options available.


Royal Bank of Scotland:


Public transport

Ukrainian nationals are able to travel on public buses and trains for free for a six-month period. You will need to show evidence such as a passport, visa or biometric residence permit when boarding.

For information about public transport, call 0800 464 00 00 or visit .

Driving in the UK

The rules for driving in GB as a resident with a valid Ukranian driving licence will depend on the types of vehicles you drive. Please see the advice below.

Car and Motorcycle Licence Holders

If you passed your driving test in Ukraine, you can drive all the vehicles shown on your driving licence for up to 12 months from when you became resident in GB (as long as the driving licence remains valid). If you want to drive for over 12 months you will need to exchange your driving licence for a GB driving licence.

Please note: If you passed your driving test outside of Ukraine you may not be able to exchange. 

Lorry and Bus Licence Holders

You can’t drive lorries or buses in GB on your driving licence. You will need to exchange your licence and pass a GB driving test in the vehicle required.

For more information about what vehicles you can drive in the UK, contact the DVLA (The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) - 

Education and schools

To apply for a place for your child to attend a local school, call 01639 763580 or 01639 763730, email Alternatively, visit

Neath Port Talbot Group of Colleges provide training courses and qualifications for people over the age of 16. Visit for more information.

Finding a job

To get help finding a job, contact Neath Port Talbot Council’s Employability Service on 01639 860160 or email They can assist with CVs, application forms, work experience, training and volunteering.

 You can also visit your local Jobcentre Plus:

  • Neath Jobcentre - 1 Windsor Road, Neath, SA11 1LY
  • Port Talbot Jobcentre Plus - 64-66 Heol-Yr-Orsaf, Station Rd, Port Talbot, SA13 1LX

Alternatively, you can call Jobcentre Plus on 0800 169 0190.

Mental health support

There is help available for people who have been through distressing events. Ring C.A.L.L, the mental helpline for Wales on 0800 132 737. Calls are free and you can ask for an interpreter.

For a full list of services that can help you with your mental wellbeing, visit

Housing and homelessness

Rented housing can be found through local letting agents and on property listings websites. The following list is a range of suggestions, but there are many other options available.

There are also a number of local housing associations which are not-for-profit organisations set up to provide affordable homes and support local communities.

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, contact Neath Port Talbot Council’s Housing Options Service on 01639 685219 or

Neath Port Talbot Council

Your local council is Neath Port Talbot. The council is responsible for a range of vital services for people and businesses. This includes functions such as social care, schools and housing.

Call 01639 686868 or visit for further information.

Finding support in your local community

Each community in Neath Port Talbot has a Local Area Coordinator who can help introduce you to the local community and link you to key support services if needed. Visit to find out who your Local Area Coordinator is and how to contact them.

Neath Port Talbot Council for Voluntary Service (CVS) is the umbrella organisation that supports voluntary and community groups in Neath Port Talbot. They can help you to find and connect with a wide range of organisations that can help with topics such as housing, benefits and immigration. They can also signpost you to mental health support groups, friendship groups and social activities. Call 01639 631246 or email .

Visit or for a list of community organisations and services in your local area.

British Red Cross

The British Red Cross can help you and your family to find out about services and support that might be available. Call 0808 196 3651 (open between 10am - 6pm daily) or visit

Domestic abuse

For help and advice about violence against women, domestic abuse and sexual violence, call the Live Fear Free helpline on 0808 80 10 800.

Food and essential supplies

Visit a supermarket or local food store for basics such as food and toiletries. The following list is a range of suggestions, but there are many other options available, including local independent stores.

Tesco -

Asda -

Morrisons -

Sainsbury’s –

Iceland –

Lidl -

Aldi -

For emergency access to food, visit to find your local food bank. Food banks will be able to help you if you can’t afford the food you need.

Local information and activities for families with children

To find out about a range of services, activities or information specifically for families, contact Neath Port Talbot Council’s Family Information Service on 01639 873018 or email .

Leisure and tourism

To find out more about the attractions and activities in Neath Port Talbot, visit:

Ukrainian nationals will be able to visit all Cadw sites for free until the 25th of October 2022. Cadw manages a number of important historical sites in Wales such as castles and landscapes. You will need to show the appropriate documentation when entering such as a passport, visa or biometric residence permit.

Places of worship

Groups like the Inter Faith Network for the UK ( may be able to help you to find a place of worship

Hate crime

In the UK it is illegal to treat anyone differently because of their gender, race, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation.

If you or someone you know is the victim of racism, report it to the authorities by:

  • Calling 101
  • Calling 999 in an emergency
  • Report it online at:
  • Going to the police station in person

Modern slavery

If you feel that you or someone you know is a victim of slavery, it is important that you seek help as soon as you are able to. Call 0800 0121 700 or visit


Neath Port Talbot CVS is the go-to organisation for volunteering, so if you are looking to connect with the community through volunteering get in touch with them on 01639 631246 or email Alternatively, visit   


Many insurance providers are providing Ukrainian nationals with free pet insurance for a one-year period.