Glynneath Flood Alleviation Scheme
Current Flood Risks
- Flooding to properties on Rock Street and Robert Street from the Gelliceibryn Brook. The existing drainage system does not have enough capacity to convey surface water during certain storms.
- Flooding to Glynneath town centre. This is from a ford on Glynmelyn Road located on the Nant Y Gwyddyl to the east of Glynneath.
The proposed works will be in two phases.
Works are likely to start August 2022 until July 2023.
Phase 1 and Phase 2 – duration likely to be 9 months
Phase 1 - Works at Rock Street and Lancaster Close.
- The construction of a new inlet structure / trash screen in the woodland
- An overflow culvert from the woodland to the River Neath to divert flood flows.
Phase 2 - Works on Nant y Gwyddyl
- The construction of a new culvert on the ford on Glynmelyn Road.
Planning permission was received in July 2022. The Council have appointed a contractor (Knights Brown Construction Ltd) to build the scheme.
- Reduce the risk of flooding to residential and commercial properties from the Gelliceibryn Brook and Nant Y Gwyddyl ford.
- Protection to the centre of Glynneath, including Rock Street, Robert Street and Trem Y Glyn Carehome.
- Lane Closures on Lancaster Close for services diversions and laying new culvert.
- Partial closure of the footway along Lancaster Close.
- Access to Gelliceibryn will be managed during construction.
- Increased construction traffic to the Site compound located in the south field off Park Avenue.
- Road Closure of Glynmelyn Road at the ford. A temporary access road will be available during the construction period to maintain access to Glynmelyn Road from Heol Y Glyn (A4109).
Site Location Plan
Glynneath Flood Alleviation Scheme - Site Location Plan (PDF 4.79 MB)
mTitle: Glynneath Flood Alleviation Scheme - Site Location Plan
mSize: 4.79 MB
The scheme is funded by the Welsh Government and Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.
The current investment value of this scheme is in the region of £3 million pounds.
If you have any queries on the scheme please contact Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council Drainage department: