Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Cost of Living Discretionary Support Scheme

To help households with their living costs, the Welsh Government has provided extra funding to each council. This is to enable them to provide support under a discretionary scheme.

We will make a £150 payment to support households that meet the criteria in one of the categories below.


The person liable for council tax must live in the property as their main or primary home on 15 February 2022


  • The property must be in Council Tax Band E or F but not in receipt of support through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme on 15 February 2022.


  • Not be eligible for a payment from the main Cost of Living scheme and
  • Receive a 100% council tax exemption for one of the following reasons:
    • Exemption Class N – All residents are students
    • Exemption Class S – All residents are under the age of 18
    • Exemption Class U – All residents are severely mentally impaired
    • Exemption Class X – All residents are care leavers between 18 and 24, is a student or a severely mentally impaired person
    • Exemption Class J – Unoccupied because the only usual occupier lives elsewhere to provide care to another person

As with the main scheme, there will be some people we can pay automatically as we already hold their bank details. Others will need to apply. We will write to anyone we can identify as eligible who needs to apply to let them know what to do.

Letters will start to be issued on the 4th July 2022.

Applying for the payment

If you have received your letter inviting you to apply for the payment then you can apply below.

Please wait for the letter and do not ring the team for the reference numbers needed. They will not be able to give the information by phone.

Before you apply please make sure you have –

  • the letter we sent you which gives your reference number and PIN number
  • your bank account and sort code
  • your email address
  • your telephone number
Apply for the payment


Help to apply

We can provide support if you do not have someone who can help you complete the online application.

You can request this help by contacting us by: