How the council works
The Council is made up of 64 locally elected Councillors who represent 42 divisions of Neath and Port Talbot. They make decisions on how the Council is run and how to improve local services on behalf of local people. The way in which Councillors make decisions is informed by the ideas of the political parties they represent.
39 Welsh Labour
15 Plaid Cymru
9 Independent Democrats
Leader and Cabinet
Neath Port Talbot is a Labour led Council. The Leader of the Council Councillor Rob Jones is elected by the Council and leads the Cabinet.
The Mayor of Neath Port Talbot is Councillor Scott Jones. The Deputy Mayor of Neath Port Talbot is Councillor John Warman.
To find out more information about the Mayor of Neath Port Talbot, visit www.npt.gov.uk/mayor.
There are a number of Committees and panels which all have different functions:
The day to day management of the Council and its services is run by:
- Steven Phillips, Chief Executive.
- Gareth Nutt, Director of Environment.
- Aled Evans, Director of Education.
- Andrew Jarrett, Director of Social Services, Health and Housing.
- Hywel Jenkins, Director of Finance and Corporate Services.