Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Overseas Electors

British citizens living abroad may preserve their right to vote in UK Parliamentary and European Parliamentary Elections for a 15 year period from their last registered entry in the UK.

If you have never been registered as an elector in the UK, you will not be eligible to register as an overseas elector.

However if you left the UK before you were 18 years of age you can register at your parents or guardians UK address, providing that you left the country not more than 15 years ago.

Overseas Electors may either appoint a person to vote on their behalf at the polling station (a proxy), or choose to vote themselves by post. If a postal vote is chosen, the applicant should take into account the length of time taken for post to travel in either direction to and from an overseas address, as the Representation of the People Regulations 2001 (regulation 71(1)) stipulate that the postal ballot papers cannot be issued earlier than 5.00pm on the eleventh working day before Polling Day.

How to register

If you would like to apply to register as an Overseas Elector please contact our Electoral Services team who will be happy to help

Registration as an Overseas Elector will only last for twelve months so an application must be made annually.