Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Service Voters

People serving in the UK’s armed forces, and their spouses, are entitled to register either as ordinary electors, or through a separate process called service registration. Service registration is particularly useful if you are likely to be posted to different places or are regularly serving away from home, and therefore run the risk of missing the autumn household registration process.

Regulations were recently amended to allow any service voter registrations to remain valid for a 5 year period, rather than having to be renewed every 3 years. Service voters should therefore ensure that any address changes for postal ballot papers are kept up-to-date within that period, as otherwise their ballot papers may be sent to the wrong address.

The main advantage of registering in this way is that you can appoint a proxy without the need for your employer to support your application. Also, the reminder to renew your registration is sent to your service address rather than to the address where you are registered and from which you may be absent for long periods.

If you would like to apply to register as a Service Voter or as the spouse of a Service Voter, please contact our Electoral Services team who will be happy to help.