Neath Port Talbot forms part of the Wales region and there are currently four MEP’s. The most recent Parliamentary elections were held in May 2014 and further information on who was elected is available here.
There are twelve electoral regions in England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Seventy three Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) will be elected to represent the UK: Sixty for England, six for Scotland, four from Wales and three for Northern Ireland.
The four Welsh MEPs will be elected utilising current Local Government boundaries. Electors can vote for either a registered political party with a list of candidates or for an individual candidate, and ballot papers are marked by placing a single ‘X’ in the appropriate box.
The next Parliamentary election is scheduled for 2019 - in order to stand as a candidate you:
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must be a qualifying Commonwealth (including British) citizen or a Republic of Ireland citizen.
You cannot stand as a candidate if the following apply:
- Any person disqualified from being an MP under the House of Commons Act 1975.
- Any person disqualified from being an MP for any constituency any part of which is within the appropriate European Parliamentary electoral region.
- Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (“Law Lord”)
- Members of the government of any member state.
- Officials of the European Union.
- A citizen of the Union disqualified under the law of the Member State of which they are a national.
For more information about this type of election, visit the Electoral Commission’s website.
Registering for European Parliamentary Elections
If you are a citizen of Britain, Cyprus, Malta and the Republic of Ireland you do not need to do this.
If you are a European Union Citizen and you wish to vote in the European Parliament election you will need to fill in an extra a voter registration form. The form can be found here. When you have filled in the form please return the form to our Electoral Services team.
One of these forms will automatically be sent to you during the annual canvass in the year prior to a scheduled European Parliamentary election.
For more information please feel free to contact our Electoral Services team, who will be happy to help.