Visit Aberavon Beach
About the beach
Aberavon seafront is one of Wales’ longest beaches having a contemporary promenade that overlooks Swansea Bay. This place is popular whatever the weather, in the winter the promenade is full of wrapped up walkers, and in the summer, the beach attracts sun worshippers.
The new millennium saw the regeneration of much of the seafront area - including modern private housing estates and homes with views across Swansea Bay. The beach front has been re-built to improve its attractiveness, with a piazza, skate park, adventure playground and public toilets. A new six-screen cinema was opened near the sea front in 1998, next to the Afan Lido.
Aberavon is a surfing ‘hotspot’ and whatever month of the year, you are sure to find a crowd of surfers in search of the perfect wave! There are numerous other water sports also available, such as windsurfing, kite surfing and kayaking.
A day at Aberavon Beach is not complete without a bag of chips soaked in vinegar, and for those looking for something a little different there are numerous public houses along the promenade. In addition, the beachfront has been brought to life by the introduction of modern sculptures.
The toilets at Aberavon Beach are open from 8.30am-6.30pm with increased cleaning regimes.
The toilets do not have permanent attendants. People are urged to take responsibility for their own wellbeing by following the signs and floor markings which are in place.
The children's playgrounds on the Aberavon Seafront are open, but with significant changes.
Prominent signs will inform users of the following:
- Only one adult should be accompanying children at a time
- Do not bring food and drink into the play area
- Leave if the play area is overcrowded
- Please do not use the facility if you have symptoms of Covid-19
- Allow others to leave before you enter the playground and do not wait close to play equipment
- The playgrounds are not staffed or cleaned after each use so please use hand sanitiser and wash your hands
- Avoid touching your face and cough or sneeze into a tissue and dispose of safely
Aberavon beach dog ban
The Aberavon beach dog walking restriction is currently in place. This prevents dogs from entering a designated part of the beach and requires dogs to be on a lead at all times. Dog owners can be fined for failing to follow the order.