Industrial Estates

Industrial Estates

Industrial Estates

The Estates and Valuation section within the Environment Directorate manages the industrial starter units that Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council has available.

There are ten industrial estates (see menu on the left) with approximately 220 units throughout the county borough available to starter businesses. Units/offices range in size from 13.94 sq metres (150ft) to 464.52 sq metres (5,000ft) which cater for a wide range of commercial uses, however under planning regulations no retail is permitted.

View estates on interactive map

Current availability of industrial units


Estates Main
Current Vacant Units Area


Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply?

The industrial units are provided to assist businesses and therefore the local economy in their areas. Accordingly applications will not be considered from individuals wishing to use them for their own private use e.g. storage of household items.

How can I view a property?

First of all we recommend that you visit the property to ensure that the location would be suitable for your business.

Before an appointment can be made for an internal viewing of a property, new businesses need to provide a business plan of their intended venture. Established businesses need to provide a letter on intention, outlining as much information about the business, i.e. how many jobs will be created? What experience you have? How long in business? Etc.

Applications or enquiries will be received by e-mail in writing or complete our Contact us form

How much are the business rates?

You will be responsible for paying business rates separately to the Council. You can ascertain the Rate on the Valuation Office Agency's website or by contacting the Council's Non-Domestic Rates Section on 01639 764328

Is there Business Advice Available?

The Authority is able to provide professional business advice to prospective tenants such as finance, grants etc. please contact our Economic Development Unit on 01639 686835.

Will my rent go up during the lease?

Your lease will specify when the rent will be reviewed. This usually means that the rent will increase to reflect any increases in market rents for similar properties. In some cases, the increase is a fixed sum agreed when the lease was first granted.

It is important to check your lease to be sure whether there will be a rent review and, if so, how the new rent will be decided. The rent payable under a tenancy will normally be reviewed by written notice or a notice to terminate the tenancy with the offer of a new tenancy, at a new rent. The length of notice which must be given should be stated in your tenancy agreement.

What happens if I don't pay my rent on time?

We expect our tenants to pay rent and service charges on time. If an account falls into arrears, it is likely that the Council will charge interest in accordance with the terms of the lease. It may be necessary for bailiffs to be instructed to collect the amount owed and payment of their costs.

This procedure involves extra expense for the tenant, so it is in your interests to make payment you will save money if you pay the rent when due.

If you are having problems paying on time, it is important that you inform us of the reasons as soon as possible. Then we may be able to discuss a way forward and offer a solution.

Is there a 'cooling off' period?

Once the tenancy agreement has been signed you are legally bound by your specific agreement. If you wish to terminate your agreement, this document will state the required notice period.

What happens when my lease comes to an end?

This is a complicated subject on which you should get advice from a Solicitor or a Chartered Surveyor experienced in commercial property management. Although the length of the lease may seem to be clear, the law says that in some circumstances a lease will continue unless the landlord or the tenant takes specific action to bring it to an end by the service of written notice in the prescribed form and for the correct period.

You should not assume you can merely vacate the property at the end of the lease, as you will continue to be liable for rent if you haven't given proper written notice.

How do I change the use?

If you are already a tenant, the Council as your landlord and owner must agree to the change of use specified in your lease or tenancy in writing. You will have to pay the costs of this and must make an application by e-mail or letter to the Estates & Valuation Section.

You may also have to make an application for planning permission to change the use and pay the appropriate fee. The Planning Department will advise you whether planning permission is required and the amount of the fee. They can be contacted by telephoning 01792 764281

The Council's tenancy or lease requires that tenants comply with the use specified in the tenancy or lease.

What are the Charges/Fees?

It is wise to remember, that as a commercial tenant, you will be liable for a number of accommodation related costs which are above the normal day to day running expenses.

Typically the following costs may also apply:

Rent / Licence Fee

You will be responsible to pay the Council rent for the premises you are occupying. All rental payments are due as stated in your lease or tenancy agreement and are normally payable monthly in advance. Payment is usually by direct debit.


The Council insures the premises, the premium being recharged to the tenant. However, it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself as to the extent of cover, to obtain additional cover if required and to obtain contents insurance.

Service Charges

Normally apply to commercial premises. If they apply they will be detailed within your lease and could cover services such as repairs, cleaning, security etc.


What methods of payment are available?

  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Direct Debit
  • Debit Card

However on completion of your tenancy agreement the Council will ONLY accept cash or a banker's draft, for the deposit the first months rent and the annual building insurance premium.

What maintenance will YOU be responsible for?

Again this will depend on the specific clauses in your Tenancy Agreement. However On the majority of the estates the tenant will be responsible for the internal aspect of the premises including the roller shutter door, windows and doors. Otherwise the Council will maintain the external fabrication of the premises and the surrounding area including the estate sign.

What services do the premises have?

It is understood that each unit has electricity and water, although interested parties should make their own enquiries as to the units suitability.

Is storage allowed outside the premises?

Again this will depend on the specific clauses in your Tenancy Agreement. However External storage is strictly prohibited at each of the Estates, unless the unit has a compound. Action will be taken by the Council should a tenant fail to comply with this requirement.

What Application Form References are required?

For applications to rent property you will need to supply a bank reference and two trade or character references. We will send you an application and reference form to complete and return. Some Financial institutions charge for this service however this is included in the fees you pay.


Although the Council is landlord, it is separate and independent from its role as Planning Authority. Whilst the landlord may indicate approval to a particular trade, this does not mean that you have planning permission to commence that trade. You are required to make your own enquiries as to the suitability of your business.

How to Contact Us?

Please complete our Contact Form. Please allow 48hrs for reply before contacting the following Estates Officers in the Estates & Valuation Section, by contacting Richard Ford, 01639 686694

It will help us if you include in your enquiry your telephone or mobile phone number and your full postal address. If your enquiry is about a specific property it will help us if you are able to describe it by the postal address or in relation to the property next door to it.

Disclaimer – Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council have made every attempt to ensure that the information provided on these web pages are correct. The particulars displayed do not constitute an offer or any part of an offer. Prospective tenants should satisfy themselves of the accuracy of the information provided.