Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Fly Tipping

If you see fly-tipped waste:

Do not:
  • touch or remove the waste. It may contain dangerous or hazardous materials such as syringes, broken glass, asbestos or toxic chemicals
  • disturb the site. If there is evidence within the waste you may be required to supply a witness statement and attend Court
  • approach anyone you see fly-tipping

Fly-tipping is illegal dumping of liquid or solid waste on land or in water. The waste is usually dumped to avoid disposal costs.

Fly-tipping of waste is a serious criminal offence. It carries a maximum penalty of an unlimited fine and up to 5 years imprisonment.

Any vehicles involved in fly-tipping incidents may also be seized. We have a successful prosecution history. We will take enforcement action against any offenders where there is enough evidence.

Report fly-tipping

You can report fly-tipping using our online form. Please report the waste to us as soon as possible.

Please provide the following information:

  • Your name and contact details. We may need to contact you for further information.*
  • The date and time you first saw the waste
  • The type of waste 
  • The exact location
  • A photograph if possible
*Without your contact details we may not be able to investigate the incident or clear the waste. We will never give your details to any other parties without prior consent.

Fly-tipping in progress

If you witness fly tipping in progress, do not approach or put yourself in a position where you may be in danger. Please contact the Waste Enforcement Team via our Contact Centre on 01639 686868 during working hours. Outside normal working hours please call the Police on 101.

Please make a note of:

  • vehicles involved (make, colour and registration number)
  • how many people are involved and what they look like
  • the type of waste being fly-tipped
  • the location
Report Fly Tipping

 We will clear fly-tips from public highway as soon as possible.

Householder Duty of Care

Householders have a duty of care to correctly dispose of their domestic waste. For normal household rubbish and recycling, you can use these services:

Registered waste carriers

If you have a lot of waste that you are unable to put in your bin or take to a household waste recycling centre, you can use a registered waste carrier.

When using a waste carrier you should:

  • Ask them to provide you with their full name, address and phone number
  • Ask to see their Waste Carrier License (Check for registered waste carriers on the Natural Resources Wales website). If they are unable to produce it, they may not be legal.
  • Make sure that you receive a 'Transfer Note' (Official Receipt) from the  carrier.
  • Take the vehicle registration number from the carrier
  • Ask for a headed receipt – a genuine company will supply one as a matter of course.
  • Ask where they take your waste - a genuine company will be able to show you transfer notes from the waste recycling centre they use.
If you don’t make these checks then you could receive a £300 Fixed Penalty Notice or an unlimited fine if convicted in Court.

Commercial Waste

Commercial waste and recycling can be disposed of for a fee using the Council's commercial waste services.