Fly tipping of waste is a serious criminal offence which carries a fine of up to £50,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 12 months (or an unlimited fine and up to 5 years imprisonment if indicted to the Crown Court). Any vehicles involved in incidents of fly tipping may also be seized. We have a successful prosecution history and will prosecute all caught offenders.
- If you witness a fly tipping in progress, please contact the Waste Enforcement Team on 01639 686868 during working hours. Outside normal working hours please call the Police on 101 and provide the registration details of any vehicle involved.
- To report a fly tip after it has occurred, please report it online or telephone our Customer Services on 01639 686868 .
- When reporting a fly tip, please provide as much information as possible regarding the date and time of the fly tip, details of any persons involved, description of type and number of items fly tipped, and any details of vehicles involved (registration number). We will clear fly tips from public highway as soon as possible.
How you can help
- If you find fly tipped waste, please do not touch or remove the waste as fly tipped waste can be dangerous and include items such as syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals, or other hazardous materials. Please do not disturb the site as there may be evidence that could help identify the perpetrators and lead to their successful prosecution. Please report it to us as soon as possible using the above contact details.
- Dispose of your waste responsibly and utilise the disposal services mentioned above that are provided by the Council.
Householder Duty of Care
New legislation introduced in 2005 places a duty of care on householders to ensure that their domestic waste is disposed of correctly. Householders should:
- Confirm that the person who removes the waste is registered to do so;
- Make sure that you receive a 'Transfer Note' (Official Receipt) from the carrier.
- Take the vehicle registration number from the carrier
The Council provides a comprehensive weekly kerbside recycling service for recyclables as well as a bulky waste collection service to allow residents to responsibly dispose of large items of domestic waste free of charge. Residents can also dispose of waste and recycling at our Household Waste and Recycling Centres free of charge
Commercial waste and recycling can be disposed of for a fee using the Council's commercial waste services.