Apply for a dropped kerb
A dropped kerb allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway.
Use this service to apply for a dropped kerb application for your property and pay for it online.
- your drive must be more than 4.8 metres long, from your house to where your drive meets the pavement. If you park in front of a main door, your drive must be 5.5 metres long
- your drive must be more than 2.4 metres wide at all points. You should aim for a driveway width of 3.6 metres to allow for disabled access.
- You must be able to drive into the property in one movement; with the driveway at 90 degrees to the road.
- Dropped kerbs should be a minimum of 10 metres away from main junctions. This may be reduced in areas with low traffic volumes and where highway safety is not compromised.
For each dropped kerb application, a fee of £160 will be charged to find out if it is possible to construct a dropped kerb at your property. This fee will include a site inspection to check the viability of your request. If the application is refused, a sum of £75 will be refunded
If planning permission is needed, it will cost an additional £230. As part of your application, you can apply for a 'pre-application enquiry' which will advise whether planning permission is likely to be granted. There is a £25 charge for this enquiry.
We will respond to your application within 10 working days.
Approved applications will be sent a self-construction pack. This includes the standard specifications for an approved dropped kerb and Licence agreement.
You can request a quotation from the Council to undertake the work. The Council charge a standard fee of £1,838 for a standard dropped kerb
You can also arrange your own contractor to carry out the work. We will check the work meets the agreed standards when it is complete.
Costs will increase depending on the amount of work needed e.g
- moving street furniture e.g. street lamps, cables, utility boxes
- moving and replacing trees
How long it takes
It takes up to 10 working days to have your application assessed by one of our inspectors at your property. If it will take longer we will let you know
Before you start
- If planning permission is not needed, it will cost £160 to apply.
- If planning permission is needed, it will cost an additional £230.
To use this service you will need:
- a debit or credit card
- Your driveway measurements