A person (over the age of 18) who is confirmed by a doctor to be severely mentally impaired and is entitled to one of the qualifying benefits. The qualifying benefits are:
- Invalidity benefit
- Severe disablement allowance
- Unemployability Supplement
- Disability working allowance
- Higher or middle rate care component of a disability living allowance
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Attendance allowance
- Constant attendance allowance
- Incapacity benefit under Section 30A or Sections 40 and 41 of the Social Security (Contributions and Benefits) Act 1992
- Increased disablement pension for constant attendance
- Income support which includes a disability premium
In order for the discount to be granted, we require the following:
- Confirmation of the number of adults resident in the property,
- The name and date of birth of the person who is believed to be severely mentally impaired,
- Doctor's name and address
- Details of any qualifying benefits that they receive. This can either be a copy of their payment book or an official letter and it must show the person's name, the type of benefit, the date it was awarded and the amount.
How much discount?
You may be entitled to:
- 25% discount where a property is home to a person or persons (over the age of 18) who are severely mentally impaired and one other adult who is not
- a 100% exemption where a property is home to only a person or people who are severely mentally impaired.
How to apply?