Margam Abbey & Stones Museum
Margam Abbey Church, founded in 1147 is the only Cistercian Foundation in Wales whose nave is still intact and used for Christian worship. Other remains of the Monastery include a twelve-sided Chapter House in early English style located within Margam Country Park.
Margam Abbey Stones Museum is a small but significant museum in the care of CADW, housing a collection of inscribed pre- Romanesque, Roman and Celtic stones and crosses, some found within the Margam area, including the great Wheel Cross of Conbelin. Guided tours of both the Abbey and the Stones Museum are available by arrangement with the Margam Parish Office.
- Tel: Margam Parish Office 01639 871184/ CADW 029 20 500200
Location: M4 junction 38, 2 miles east of Port Talbot on the A48.
Bus: X1 (First Cymru) from Swansea/Port Talbot.
Accessibility: Accessible to all. Disabled facilities on site.
South Wales Miners Museum
Located within the Afan Forest Park Visitor Centre is this intimate museum depicting the story of the miner and his family in the South Wales Valleys. There is also a range of outdoor exhibits including a blacksmith’s shop.
- Tel: Afan Forest Park Visitor Centre 01639 850564
Location: On the A4107, 6 miles from M4 Junction 40.
Bus: 23 (First Cymru) from Port Talbot.
Accessibility: Accessible to less able visitors
More information: Visit South Wales Museum website