Programme of Events - 20 October 2018
Supported by 96.4FM The Wave and Swansea Sound
Opening of the Garden of Remembrance
Support for the launch of the Poppy Appeal and the opening of the Garden of Remembrance in the Aberavon Shopping Centre, in conjunction with the Port Talbot Branch of the Royal British Legion
From 10.15am to 3.00 pm
Flag Raising Ceremony – opening of the Festival
Watch the Mayor officially open the festival outside Port Talbot Civic Centre at 10.15 am.
Displays, challenges, information stands, and meet & greet
- Port Talbot Civic Square: View the display outside the Port Talbot Civic Centre from the tri services of the Navy, Army and Air Force, including equipment and challenges for the young and not so young. Opportunities to meet the Regular Forces, Reservists and Cadets
- Car park of the Princess Royal Theatre: View the display of historic vehicles
- Aberafan Shopping Centre: View displays and gather information from organisations that support them in the community.
11.20am to 12.00 noon
Plaque unveiling – Memorial Park, Taibach
A plaque unveiling will take place in the Memorial Park in Taibach, which has been dedicated as a Field in Trust to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the First World War.
Evening Performance at the Princess Royal Theatre (ticketed event)
A celebration and commemoration of the contribution of the armed forces and civilians in Neath Port Talbot. Narrator Brian Sullivan will be taking you on a journey through time for the 100th anniversary of the First World War with a variety of top local talent performing songs from the era. Performers include:
- The popular Kirsten Orsborn, known as the Royal Marines Forces Sweetheart.
- Port Talbot Cymric Choir – who have previously performed for the Queen at The Royal Albert Hall in London
- City of Swansea Pipe Band
City of Swansea Pipe Band
- 215 Squadron Air Training Corps Band