Neath Port Talbot Council has secured £1.7 million, including £1.1 million through the Warm Homes Fund to offer a helping hand to residents that cannot afford to keep their home warm at a reasonable cost, given their income.
The Fund can help eligible residents to reduce their energy bills by up to 30%, and can even result in health benefits through living in a home which is properly heated. There are no costs to the homeowners and the scheme will be operated on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications will close once all the funds have been allocated.
The Fund has been established by National Grid and is administered by a community interest company called Affordable Warmth Solutions. The Council is responsible for the application process, liaising with homeowners about the work and appointing approved contractors.
What does the Fund include?
Through the Fund, homeowners could be eligible for:
- The installation of a first time oil central heating system (boiler, radiators, pipework)
- Energy saving measures (loft insulation, draught proofing, low energy light bulbs etc.)
The work generally takes around 3 days to complete and can be arranged at a time to suit the homeowner.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Fund, homeowners must:
- Live in Neath Port Talbot and:
- Be classed as a low income household
- Or spend more than 10% of household income on energy
- Or live in a low income area (check with the team to confirm if you live in a low income area)
- Or be in receipt of certain benefits
- Be situated away from a main gas supply. (approximately 2km)
- Not have an existing oil / gas or LPG central heating system (a boiler and radiators)
- Must own your own property or privately rent (private landlords will be required to pay a 25% contribution towards the cost of the works)
If you are unsure if you meet any of the above criteria, contact the Housing Renewals Team on 01639 686502 for assistance.
What is involved?
Applying for the Warm Homes Fund is really easy. Here is a step-by-step guide of what to expect when applying for the Fund:
Step 1 – Check if you are eligible for the Warm Homes Fund. Contact the Team if you are unsure
Step 2 – Complete the application form online or download the form below and return to the Housing Renewal Team at Neath Civic Centre Neath SA11 3QZ. If you prefer, you can complete your application over the phone with a member of the team.
Step 3 – A member of the Team will contact you to arrange a suitable time to visit your home to undertake a survey and confirm your eligibility
Step 4 – The Team appoint an approved contractor to commence the work at your property at a time convenient for you.
Housing Renewal Team
Telephone: 01639 686502
Address: Neath Civic Centre, Neath SA11 3QZ
*Subject to availability, eligibility and funding.