The industrial heritage of this area goes back to 1584, when copper was first manufactured. Iron smelting and corn milling followed, with a tin plate works being built around 1830. As well as powering industries for over 400 years, this magnificent waterfall inspired artist J M W Turner in 1795. Today, the site houses Europe’s largest electricity-generating water wheel.
Founded in 1130 by the Norman Baron, Richard de Granville and described as the 'Fairest Abbey in all Wales' by Tudor Historian John Leland.