Coronavirus Fire-break lockdown 6th October
The Welsh Government has announced a Covid fire-break starting at 6pm on Friday 23.10.20. Guidance and frequently asked questions are available on the Welsh Government website.
Local Lockdown restrictions 28th September - 5th October
Please note the Covid guidelines on this page will be in force until 6pm on Friday 23.10.20, when a coronavirus fire-break lockdown will come into force in Wales
Due to the continuing trend of increasing numbers of positive COVID-19 cases across Neath Port Talbot, the Welsh Government has announced a number measures that residents MUST follow to help stop the spread of the virus any further.
Please keep in mind that the purpose of the restrictions is to prevent the transmission of the virus, including to those we care about – both within the area and outside it. People will need to make judgements for themselves about what is reasonable, in line with that overarching principle in order to keep themselves and their wider community safe.
Restrictions came into force from 6pm on Monday 28th September and failure to comply with the measures could lead to enforcement action being taken.
The measures include:
- People will not be allowed to enter or leave the Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council boundary area without a reasonable excuse. A 'reasonable excuse' includes:
- going to work where you cannot work from home;
- attending a school or college outside of the area; or
- undertaking a caring responsibility e.g. childcare;
- or caring for an elderly relative;
- attending a medical appointment
- shopping for essential items that cannot be purchased locally or ordered online; or
- using public services that are not available locally.
- It also includes leaving your local area to visit family or close friends on compassionate grounds if necessary.
- This also works the other way around - those living outside the area should NOT enter the county borough on non-essential journeys it if at all possible.
The main message is that people should stay in their immediate area as much as possible. You do not have a reasonable excuse to leave the area to do something if you could be reasonably expected to be able to do it within the area.
- People will only be able to meet outdoors for the time being.
- People will not be able to meet members of their extended household indoors or form an extended household for the time being.
- People who live in the Neath Port Talbot County Borough MUST work from home unless it is not reasonably practicable to do so.
- Indoor public venues, such as pubs, bars, restaurants, play centres, community centres, places of worship, leisure facilities and local attractions ARE OPEN, but these are only accessible to those who live within Neath Port Talbot County Borough and you should only attend with members of your immediate household (people you live with). These venues have an obligation to ensure that you do not mix with people not in your immediate household and will be asked to ensure that you that you remain apart.
- Masks or three layer face coverings MUST be appropriately worn in ALL indoor spaces and where social distancing can't be maintained, unless you have a valid or medical exemption for not doing so - view Welsh Government guidelines. We are also asking residents to volunteer to wear them in all busy outdoor public spaces – including high streets and outside school gates at pick-up and drop-off times.
- Schools, child care settings and colleges WILL remain open and home to school transport WILL continue to operate in accordance with the latest Public Health Wales guidance – see our schools page
- People should not visit care homes, unless it is an end of life visit where full PPE will be required.
- To reduce the likelihood of transmission from the hospitality industry, all licensed premises will be required to close at 10.20pm each evening and alcohol will NOT be able to be purchased after 10pm. All premises MUST operate a table service only. (Welsh Government regulations came in to force from 6pm on Thursday 24th September).
- The sale of alcohol will be prohibited after 10pm in Supermarkets and Off-licences. (Welsh Government regulations came in to force from 6pm on Thursday 24th September).
- In addition to the above, please continue to wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser and maintain social distancing (2 metres).
- We strongly recommend that residents avoid using public transport unless it is for an essential journey (to access education, employment, medical appointments, or to shop for basic provisions).
The new measures will be enforced by Neath Port Talbot Council and South Wales Police. They will be kept under regular review and if the number of cases do not show signs of falling, further restrictions will be considered.
Failure to comply with the measures set out above and in the relevant Welsh Government documents is a criminal offence and could result in enforcement action being taken by Council Enforcement Officers and South Wales Police to protect your fellow residents and help keep Neath Port Talbot and Wales safe.
Read FULL Welsh Government FAQs for Neath Port Talbot
View the Boundary map for Neath Port Talbot