Skip Navigation

This is a new website – your feedback will help us improve it.

Godre’r Graig School Task Force Meeting – 05.09.2019

Attendees

Councillors

  • R.G Jones (Leader) - Leader of Council
  • A. J. Taylor (AJT) - Deputy Leader of Council

Officers

  • Aled Evans (AE) - Director of Education
  • Nicola Pearce (NP) - Head of Planning and Public Protection
  • Mike Shaw (MS) - Principal Solicitor
  • Andrew Thomas (AT) - Head of Transformation
  • Dave Griffiths (DG) - Head of Engineering and Transport
  • Huw Jones (HJ) - Head of Financial Services
  • Simon Brennan (SB) - Head of Property and Regeneration
  • Sylvia Griffiths (SG) - Strategic Marketing and Communications Manager
  • Neil Evans (NE) - Senior Executive Officer
  • Clive Barnard (CB) - Architectural Design and Project Manager
  • Roger Bowen (RB) - Programme Management Co-ordinator
  • Peter Curnow (PC) - Transformation Project Officer
  • Rhiannon Crowhurst (RC) - Transformation Project Manager

21st August Meeting Action Notes

Leader noted that the actions had been agreed outside of the meeting to allow work to be undertaken in between meetings.

Matters Arising

It was noted that the school will be handed over to the Council on Friday as previously noted.

In relation to the costs of the project the meeting was informed that the Chief Executive was yet to speak with the Special Advisors at Welsh Government but would once a final set of costs had been agreed. The
Leader confirmed that costs should be finalised as soon as possible and circulated to himself and the Chief Executive.

The Leader stated that the company that had installed the temporary school had requested use of his quote as part of their marketing in the future.

It was noted that the BBC ran with a story on Monday that highlighted concerns from a parent. It was stated that the Leader and Chief Executive would be meeting with the local action group Tegwch later this
month. 

The Leader asked whether it would be agreeable to perhaps invite the BBC at the end of next week to visit the temporary school to highlight the work that has been undertaken. AT and SG to liaise and discuss with the Head as to when if at all would be a convenient time. It was further suggested that it would be an idea to also involve Cwmtawe School as they have been helpful in facilitating this move.

Agreed that AE would draft a letter to the Head Teachers Chairs of Governors at Godre’r Graig and Cwmtawe Schools to thank them for their support and for their role in facilitating the necessary works.

In relation to media interest it was suggested that the BBC may turn up at the site on Monday. It was noted that they would not be able to enter the school or the grounds but could film from outside. It was suggested that SG speak with the BBC to advise that if and when it was appropriate they would be invited to film in the school.

RB noted that the collection of the school’s waste had not been arranged. DG to speak with the waste section to take forward.

It was noted that consideration should be given to a schedule of maintenance at the old school to ensure that should it be ok for the pupils to return in the future it is fit for purpose. SB and CB to develop a schedule.

The meeting agreed that it was necessary to repeat a key message that the community can assist in looking out for the school to ensure no vandalism. It was suggested that this message can be reinforced in
further media updates.

RB noted that in relation to the school there were some resources that had not been considered for an immediate move. The Leader stressed that if any resources currently at the school related to any personal
information then it was imperative that this was stored with maximum security. MS noted that this was the correct stance to take and that the storage of such information must now be a priority. RB/AT to take
forward the issue of storage as a matter of urgency.

DG stated that in the BBC interview recently a parent stated that they had walked the mountain and noted that no work had been undertaken. DG continued that this was incorrect and a significant amount of work had been undertaken to clear vegetation.

It was agreed that DG and AT should also attend the meeting with Tegwch along with the Leader and Chief Executive on 17th September at 2pm.

Agreed that the following actions be noted:

  • SG and NE to publish/circulate agreed action notes;
  • AT and SG to discuss the possibility of a media visit when the school is settled;
  • AE to draft a letter to the Head Teachers and Chairs of Governors at Godre’r Graig and Cwmtawe School;
  • DG to speak with waste to ensure arrangements are made for the collection of waste;
  • SB and CB to develop a maintenance schedule for the old school building;
  • AT and RB to consider information storage as a matter of urgency;
  • NE to circulate details of the meeting with Tegwch to the relevant officers.

It was stated that a meeting would not automatically be arranged for next week but should any officer have something significant they wish to discuss then the Leader should be informed and a meeting can be
arranged if thought necessary.