Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Change of Tenancy

Landlords and managing agents should keep us informed of all tenancy changes immediately. This allows our revenue and benefits team to provide a more efficient service to you and your tenants by sending correct bills, and awarding discounts and exemptions promptly.

Report a change of tenancy

We need landlords to:

  • inform us of all changes in tenancy when they happen and give the exact start and end dates of tenancies
  • give the full names of each tenant and previous and forwarding addresses 
  • provide a contact telephone number for you and your tenants for any questions we may have
  • inform us if the property is rented furnished or unfurnished
  • be aware that we can fine you if you do not provide the information within 21 days of the request
  • we may ask you for a copy of the tenancy agreement if we require it
Report change of tenancy

Please be aware we will not usually register tenants for a retrospective period. For us to consider an appeal to register tenants for a past period we will need to see full supporting evidence such as:

  • tenancy agreements,
  • proof of rent paid,
  • utility bills,
  • tenants forwarding address and contact details,
  • employment details,

We may decide that there is insufficient information available to consider registering the tenant for Council Tax and we may bill you for the period in question. This is why it is important to tell the Council Tax section promptly when tenants move in and out.

Payments between tenancies

When a property becomes vacant, liability reverts back to the landlord. How much you will have to pay depends on the status of the property.

  • If the property is left furnished between tenancies, a 25% discount will apply until the next tenant moves in
  • Where a property is left unfurnished between tenancies, you may qualify for a 100% discount for a maximum of six months.

If your tenant lives with you

If a tenant is living with you as a lodger, you will continue to be liable for the Council Tax. Unless they are a full time student or disregarded for another reason, you would usually be liable to pay the full charge. Please refer to section “reductions to Council Tax bills”.

House of multiple occupation

In a property rented on a multi-occupation basis you will be liable for the Council Tax. Such properties are defined as:

  • Constructed or adapted for multi-occupation basis, i.e bedsits
  • Rented to tenants who only have a lease on part of the property
  • Rented to a tenant who is not liable for rent for the whole property, i.e rental is per person not per property

Properties undergoing refurbishment

If the property is unfurnished and uninhabitable and requires major structural work to make it habitable you may qualify for an exemption for up to one year. The Council Tax section will make arrangements to inspect the property to see if an exemption is appropriate. We are unlikely to backdate this exemption so it is important to let us know immediately that you wish to claim this exemption.

Liability if my tenant has left and owes Council Tax

As your tenant is liable for Council Tax, should they fall into arrears, any debt will remain in their name and not stay with the property or be transferred to you. However, when they leave the property it is important that we are told promptly and provided with a forwarding address. This is so that we can close the account and forward all communication to their new address and not to your property.

If you have any queries or require any information please contact the Council Tax Section on 01639 686188 or email