Skip Navigation

Your feedback will help us improve this website.

Frequently Asked Questions

You will find below frequently asked questions and the relevant answers. If you have a question which is not covered please do not hesitate to contact the office on 01639 686405/01639 686406 and ask for Trade Waste.

What is Trade Waste?

Trade Waste is any item that a business wants to get rid of. It can be paper, kitchen waste, packaging, general dry non-hazardous waste from businesses, shops, pubs, offices, schools, manufacturing, clinics etc. This applies to all premises (including charities) which are not used purely for domestic living accommodation.

Any business has a Duty of Care to dispose of their waste correctly. This is detailed in the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 34. Refer to Duty of Care for Businesses

Why do I have to pay for my refuse to be collected when I am already paying Business Rates? 

Local Authorities are obliged by law to recover their reasonable costs for the collection and disposal of trade waste under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The charges are not included in the Business Rates in order to give the freedom of choice to use the Council service or private sector service providers.

I don't have much waste why do I still have to pay? 

Many premises have small quantities of refuse and although it might not be much from one premise all of them together make a substantial amount which the council has to pay to dispose of. We are obliged to cover our costs (see question1) but where there is genuinely a small quantity of waste we are able to offer Trade Waste bags as an alternative to wheeled bins.

If I live at the same place as my business am I entitled to a domestic refuse collection? 

If you live at your place of work we will provide a standard bin for your domestic waste just as we do for all domestic properties in the Borough. Your business waste - no matter how little has to be covered by a Trade Refuse agreement and paid for.

Can I take my waste to a tip? 

To dispose of your waste at a disposal facility, you will need to contact the site operator and pay the appropriate tipping charges. You will need to obtain proof of disposal from the tip. The law states you must be able to prove how you dispose of your waste with the relevant documentation.

Why can't I burn my waste? 

You could be breaking the law, causing a nuisance and damaging the environment by burning waste. You will not be able to account for your waste or have the documents to prove you have disposed of the waste appropriately.

Why do I have to complete a Waste Transfer Note? 

The Waste Transfer Note, which is issued to you, is valid for a maximum of up to one year. It is a legal document to show you have had your waste collected by a person who is authorised to carry waste and who will dispose of it correctly. You will be asked to complete a new Transfer Note at the beginning of each calendar year. You should keep your copy for two years.

Do I need to renew my contract when I renew my Transfer Note? 

No. Your agreement will continue with the Council until you cancel it. You are required to give one month's notice in writing and you are charged up until the end of the notice.

What do I do if the bin I have chosen is the wrong size?

We will endeavour to advise you on the appropriate size bin for the quantity of waste you have. You need to make sure it is big enough to hold ALL of your waste. If you find the bin is too big or too small it is not a problem just contact the office and we will arrange to exchange it for you and amend your account to the new charge.

Do I need to send a cheque with my Agreement Form? 

No. You will be invoiced once your agreement has been processed. We normally send invoices twice a year in April and October which are for 6 months in advance. You can pay by Direct Debit which will spread the cost over 10 months.

Who do I contact if I have a problem?

If you have a problem please contact us on 01639 686405/686406.

If you have a query about an invoice contact our Income Section on 01639 686842

You can also contact us via email at

How do I pay for Business Waste Collection?

You can pay

  • online (visit the Girobank Billpayment website
  • by cheque 
    (made payable to Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council) or cash at one our cash offices:
    • Civic Centre, Neath;
    • Civic Centre, Port Talbot; or
    • The Hub @ Pontardawe.
  • by post
    by cheque 
    (made payable to Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council) 
    Director of Finance and Corporate Services
    Income Section
    Neath Port Talbot CBC
    Civic Centre
    SA11 3QZ.
  • or by Direct Debit
    call this number 01639 686842 or email us to request a direct debit form