Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council aspires to deliver an inclusive education service that celebrates diversity and respects everyone’s right to education. The Council provides access to high quality learning experiences for every child and young person by encouraging and supporting individuals to realise their ambitions, achieve their potential and become active and responsible members of society.
To meet the educational needs of children, the County Borough Council delivers a range of provision, including:
- part-time nursery education, available in all primary and ‘all-through’ 3-16/318 schools. Successful learning begins in the nursery where children have access to rich experiences in a secure environment;
- primary phase education at primary and ‘all-through’ 3-16/3-18 schools (including Welsh medium and voluntary aided schools), providing a broad education based on practical experiences designed to meet individual needs, including national curriculum areas of study.
- secondary phase education at secondary and ‘all-through’ 3-16/3-18 schools, (including Welsh medium and a Roman Catholic school), setting high standards in examinations, sport and cultural activities, and personal and social education. Pupils in all schools have access to a wide range of curricular opportunities and the national curriculum;
- special schools, providing rich and stimulating learning experiences for pupils with severe and complex difficulties. All pupils attending these schools have a statement of special educational needs. Specialist support for primary and secondary age pupils with emotional and behavioural difficulties is available within the County Borough.
- learning support centres, based at a number of primary, secondary and ‘allthrough’ schools, provide specialist support in mainstream schools for pupils with statements of special educational needs.
The Council’s admission arrangements for community schools ensure that admission procedures do not unfairly advantage or disadvantage any groups through the application of the Welsh Government School Admissions Code 005/2013.